Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places of interest in Cork

Options
  • 20-06-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi i am off to Cork City tomorrow for the weekend with the Mrs.
    I will be on my own a fair bit on Saturday as herself will be doing a spot of shopping.
    Ill be bringing the camera with me for company ;) can anyone recommend places of interest in or around the city?
    I have been to the English market before which is lovely.
    Its the only thing that might keep me from sitting on a high stool all day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steoc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

There's a vintage car run around Cobh and into Fota (not sure if its in to the park itself or just around it...).

http://www.carbsandchrome.com/event/commodore-hotel-titanic-classic/

and on Sunday the Grand Prix -

http://www.carbsandchrome.com/event/cork-75th-anniversary-grand-prix/

Might be some good photo opportunities there ...if people and cars interest you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Thanks Kenny ill look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

steoc wrote: »
    Hi i am off to Cork City tomorrow for the weekend with the Mrs.
    I will be on my own a fair bit on Saturday as herself will be doing a spot of shopping.
    Ill be bringing the camera with me for company ;) can anyone recommend places of interest in or around the city?
    I have been to the English market before which is lovely.
    Its the only thing that might keep me from sitting on a high stool all day.
    Thanks in advance.
    Steoc.

There is a nice walk down by the Mardyke where you go across the river a couple of times, nice and tranquil:

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=51.897655,-8.490736&num=1&t=h&z=17

Also love going into the smaller bar's of Cork in area's off the beat and track, some great places in and around the city centre and great pictures to be had in and out of these places aswell.

Excellent.
    I think ill stay in the city so as i can have a few beers here and there.
    Can you name a few of the old small Bars?

Excellent.

Places definitely worth a visit(or a normal night out for me):
    • The Oval, which is on south main street(Just off Grand Parade)
    • An Bodhrán on Oliver Plunkett Street
    • Mutton Lane off Patrick Street, which is down one of the side alleys to the English Market
    • The Hi-B which is also on Oliver Plunkett Street across from the GPO and upstairs over a shop(can't remember what shop)
    Anyone else want to add to this list, An Bodhrán is prob not as old as the others I have mentioned but a great vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

ssbob wrote: »
    Places definitely worth a visit(or a normal night out for me):
    • The Oval, which is on south main street(Just off Grand Parade)
    • An Bodhrán on Oliver Plunkett Street
    • Mutton Lane off Patrick Street, which is down one of the side alleys to the English Market
    • The Hi-B which is also on Oliver Plunkett Street across from the GPO and upstairs over a shop(can't remember what shop)
    Anyone else want to add to this list, An
    Bodhrán is prob not as old as the others I have mentioned but a great vibe.

Don't go bringing a camera into HighB. The guy there doesn't like mobile phones or anything tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Callanans pub on George's quay is quite nice as well. As for taking photos, everyone recently is taking photos of Shandon, they're celebrating some festival atm and they've hung bunting Off the top of the tower, and a few photos I've seen of it lately are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

How about Shandon Church?

Some reasonable photo oportunities in the church itself, plus, for about a fiver you can go up to the top of the steeple, where you have a good panoramic view of the city.

There is an interesting 2-ton clock in there, and you can also ring the bells!

that part of the city has some interesting narrow laneways etc as well. I'd say it would be well worth an hour of your time, and it could run to two!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Dont forget the Long Valley. The interiors there and regulars would make for some great photos if you are up for it.
    Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

swingking wrote: »
    Don't go bringing a camera into HighB. The guy there doesn't like mobile phones or anything tbh

Always fun seeing tourists arrive in that spot, the look of fear and confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

unless you can play the piano

So how did you get on OP? Wish to share any of your photo's with us?

Right....
    Cork was a blast ,well Friday had such a night that i was to unwell to take photos on the Saturday. Even the wife wasnt able to shop :eek: Ended up in bed Saturday evening at 8.
    We had 2 nights in the one :)

I had a great time visiting some of the mentioned pubs.
    Loved Mutton Lane and the Hi B.
    Pushed myself to take a photo on the Sunday over looking the City from Patricks Hill.
    Not sure yet what its like but ill have a look later and ill post it.

Great City and Lovely people.

Advertisement