Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoves

Options
  • 20-06-2013 1:56pm

Ok. Mod said not enough info so I'll try again.
    I got a super duper deal on an insert stove when we pulled out the old one (non backboiler type). I was quoted €1900 in Kildare but Hurst were about €400 or so cheaper.
    I was surprised at the price, several hundred euro cheaper than enywhere else including the UK. I think the shipping was free as far as I can remember.
    We got a liner and all the bits and bobs too and the liner (904 grade) seemed a decent spec on the manufacturers website. All the stuff was here two days later which I thought was amazing service and I kept adding bits and bobs before the order was final but the sales guy was always polite. I thought he would have said "are you sure your finished now for sure" or something like that because I called so often to add bits. It was A Stratford Ecoboiler EB 12 Insert Stove.Its a place in Mayo I never heard of before : http://http://www.hurst.ie/

http://http://www.stovecentre.ie/

The old one I got from the UK a few years ago, a small non boiler 7 Kw model and it was fantastic too (especially during those two years of snow and ice) but no backboiler on it. I would recommend them too, Saltfire stoves, great customer service. I broke a part almost immediatly and they replaced it in days. Their stoves look old style but we abused the little one we got from them and it held up perfectly. They say they only use virgin cast Iron and from the abuse we gave the little stove I would well believe it. They were half the price of Irish stoves during the boom, not sure what the difference is now though. Anyway here is the link to them. Hope the mods leave this post, it's taken me a fair bit of typing. Anyway here you go Saltfire Stoves : http://http://www.woodburningstovesdirect.com/

Best of luck to anyone fitting a stove, I heartily recommend one, we didn't bother much with oil last year and if the new backboiler one works ok hopefully we won't need oil at all after going Dual CH:).

Comments

I don't seem to have put in those links correctly so you will have to do it manually or google them.
    My apologies, I'll get it right eventually I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Spamtastic.

Pj! wrote: »
    Spamtastic.

Give it a rest PJ.
    Who takes an hour trying to spam........

Spamtastic.

Trust...... the first casualty of the boom years............:)

• Advertisement

Who (joins a popular online forum and instantly) takes an hour trying to spam........

Who indeed...

I kid I kid. Sort of.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Give it a rest PJ.
    Who takes 9 minutes learning to spam........

FYP :pac:

Who indeed...

I kid. Sort of.

:P

I like the place so I guess I'll be here a while. The people, idea's and information seem fantastic, thought I might throw in some idea's/info myself. Between my first post which was removed and framing the second while messing up the links and trying to do it right again and again it took a while.
    As you can see there is a bit of syntax in the post and I presume most spammers keep it short and sweet.
    Its been four years since I got my original stove from Saltfire and thought highly of them. I guess loyalty to good service in not natural in your book.

You seem extremly quick (and I do mean extremely, I was amazed at the speed with which you jumped into the threads and ran amok with accusations of spamming, literally seconds so I can see you took time to think your replies through, not) to accuse me of spamming and have given little if any thought to the trouble I have taken to make the post and perhaps be of help to others. Have you any idea how long it takes to write. Me not long, but then again others have a very hard time writing a few sentences and no doubt if I did have trouble with reading or writing your extremly quick accusation would have ended my foray into posting on boards.

As it is it has not put me off in the least.

I refute you in the original post and what do you do? You fire the accusation again.

I post the original and in seconds you pounce in on it calling me a spammer.

I contact the mods for clarification, repost and again you pounce within seconds accusing me of spamming.

As I say, I will be around for a while so perhaps this time next year you may see fit to apologise. If not, who cares, your perogative.

One thing I will say though......especially in modern society. We are all too quick to judge. Benefit of the doubt saved many a person from the hangmans noose. Witchfinders General and all that.

Take care and keep well. Gosh I got more than I bargained for.

Allyall wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

I am afraid I don't know what FYP means...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭amber2

I am afraid I don't know what FYP means...........

The Meaning of FYP
    FYP means "Fixed Your Post"
    So now you know - FYP means "Fixed Your Post"

Thanks for the thread am looking at putting in a stove, sick of wasting huge amounts of fuel in the open fire over the winter, so thanks for the links & also looking for a inset stove with back boiler to run about 8/9 rads.

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »
    The Meaning of FYP

Thanks for the thread am looking at putting in a stove, sick of wasting huge amounts of fuel in the open fire over the winter, so thanks for the links & also looking for a inset stove with back boiler to run about 8/9 rads.

We have ten rads, can't really vouch for the actual stove yet though it sure does look nice and seems well built.. I hear some good stuff about the Esse as well. There's so much choice its hard to tell but from what I read many a good stove has been let down by bad installers. Hope it goes well for you. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

amber2 wrote: »
    The Meaning of FYP

Why dont you post a thread asking for info...in the Heating and Plumbing section.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1320

It makes sense.:)

PS-Insulation is the key to keeping a house cosy and warm.

Alot of money wasted to go and get all the stove/plumbing work done,if you have no insulation in the house.

50mm and 80mm Internal slab is a good way to go.

As too is spray foaming the attic spaces.

Have a Stovax Riva 66 inset stove in my own house,entire house is insulated to the hilt,and attic space is spray foamed.Solar panel system for hot water and no gas is needed to heat the water,so any gas used is entirely for boiler/rads.

Feck all gas used in fact,thanks to solar,stove and insulation.

Snug as a bug in a rug.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Why dont you post a thread asking for info...in the Heating and Plumbing section.

Alot of money wasted to go and get all the stove/plumbing work done,if you have no insulation in the house.

Have a Stovax Riva 66 inset stove in my own house,entire house is insulated to the hilt,and attic space is spray foamed.Solar panels system for hot water and no gas is needed to heat the water,so any gas used is entirely for boiler/rads.

Snug as a bug in a rug.

Saw that, looks nice. Here the house is a detached 80's bungalow, got lots of insulation put into the walls and roof and insulated the walls of the wind facing rooms inside too. Made a difference but I got to say without the stove I wouldn't have been too impressed....... altough after the attic and wall insulation we did stop seeing our own breath in the air...........:)

I like the place so I guess I'll be here a while. The people, idea's and information seem fantastic, thought I might throw in some idea's/info myself. Between my first post which was removed and framing the second while messing up the links and trying to do it right again and again it took a while.
    As you can see there is a bit of syntax in the post and I presume most spammers keep it short and sweet.
    Its been four years since I got my original stove from Saltfire and thought highly of them. I guess loyalty to good service in not natural in your book.

You seem extremly quick (and I do mean extremely, I was amazed at the speed with which you jumped into the threads and ran amok with accusations of spamming, literally seconds so I can see you took time to think your replies through, not) to accuse me of spamming and have given little if any thought to the trouble I have taken to make the post and perhaps be of help to others. Have you any idea how long it takes to write. Me not long, but then again others have a very hard time writing a few sentences and no doubt if I did have trouble with reading or writing your extremly quick accusation would have ended my foray into posting on boards.

As it is it has not put me off in the least.

I refute you in the original post and what do you do? You fire the accusation again.

I post the original and in seconds you pounce in on it calling me a spammer.

I contact the mods for clarification, repost and again you pounce within seconds accusing me of spamming.

As I say, I will be around for a while so perhaps this time next year you may see fit to apologise. If not, who cares, your perogative.

One thing I will say though......especially in modern society. We are all too quick to judge. Benefit of the doubt saved many a person from the hangmans noose. Witchfinders General and all that.

Take care and keep well. Gosh I got more than I bargained for.
    Hi spyrogyro.

I don't think I ran amok with anything and 'literally seconds' was actually 9 minutes. But that's ok.
    I meant my post a bit more light hearted than you took it up (or than it probably sounded). If I definitely thought you were spamming I may have reported the post.
    It's usually a product or specific service that gets posted in Bargain Alerts. It's more unusual for someone to post a business. An unknown or new poster going through great lengths to list a business as a bargain alert can cause some suspicion as you can understand.

It's great that you got a good deal.
    I have no clue if you are spamming. Nor do I know if this business is really a 'bargain alert'. But hey ho.

Apologies for any upset caused. Looking forward to more bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

hi paddy
    whats that setup in pic 8151, whats the metal barrels for,
    cheers and nice stove btw :D
    paddy147 wrote: »

Have a Stovax Riva 66 inset stove in my own house,entire house is insulated to the hilt,and attic space is spray foamed.Solar panel system for hot water and no gas is needed to heat the water,so any gas used is entirely for boiler/rads.

Snug as a bug in a rug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

GY A1 wrote: »
    hi paddy
    whats that setup in pic 8151, whats the metal barrels for,
    cheers and nice stove btw :D

Its the liquids in both drums being mixed together to create the Bio-Foam Open Cell spray foam.

Its then pumped into the house and up into the attic at around 45 degrees C.

It expands and sets to 200% its spray on volume in around 20 seconds.

Its very soft and spongey to the touch,after it expands and sets.

With the Stovax Stove,the internal slab insulation throughout the house,the spray foam insulation and also the tripple glazed windows,the house really holds the heat ever so well.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just bought a stove last week, the one I bought isn't listed on that site (Irish made stove Boru), but the cheapest similar one (30kw) on that site is €180 more and its for a cheap Chinese make.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A lot of cheap no name stoves floating about,if a price is too good to be true then pardon the pun, prepare to get burned.

I invested in a Firebird and it's exceeded expectations.I expect to pay nothing for oil this coming Winter because of it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭micks_address

The main problem with the cheaper no name stoves is getting spare parts.. i have to give props to stanley on their stoves.. a quick call to them and any parts are dispatched if in stock.. fairly flexible on warranty dates to.. if you are within 12 to 18 months of purchase..
    zerks wrote: »
    A lot of cheap no name stoves floating about,if a price is too good to be true then pardon the pun, prepare to get burned.

I invested in a Firebird and it's exceeded expectations.I expect to pay nothing for oil this coming Winter because of it.:)

Hi spyrogyro.

I don't think I ran amok with anything and 'literally seconds' was actually 9 minutes. But that's ok.
    I meant my post a bit more light hearted than you took it up (or than it probably sounded). If I definitely thought you were spamming I may have reported the post.
    It's usually a product or specific service that gets posted in Bargain Alerts. It's more unusual for someone to post a business. An unknown or new poster going through great lengths to list a business as a bargain alert can cause some suspicion as you can understand.

It's great that you got a good deal.
    I have no clue if you are spamming. Nor do I know if this business is really a 'bargain alert'. But hey ho.

Apologies for any upset caused. Looking forward to more bargains.

I posted it in Bargain alert so if you need a stove its a Bargain alert (or as posted a super duper bargain alert).

No prob, keep well.....................

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    Just bought a stove last week, the one I bought isn't listed on that site (Irish made stove Boru), but the cheapest similar one (30kw) on that site is €180 more and its for a cheap Chinese make.

Thats a massive stove at 30 Kw. I can't even find one that size on the sites. Carrig Mor I see on another site. I got a small one about four years ago from one of the sites. It was a cheapo I thought, but It was actually extremly well made and despite our best efforts we never broke it. Its a bit of a pig in a poke. I didn't go researching every stove and price. All I got was the stove I was looking for (Stratford EB 12 Insert) at almost €500 cheaper than local in Kildare.

Best of luck with the stove.

By the way another local shop once quoted me €235 for a cowl which was £80 in UK. When I pointed this out he wanted €100. Moral of the story I guess is shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Senna wrote: »

Where did you buy it?

zerks wrote: »

Dunno...... over the years many "branded" products have let me down.
    Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which) sold a big drill identical to an expensive Bosh I was looking at. Bought the cheapo Aldi/Lidl and I am sure whoever was making the Bosh made the Aldi/Lidl drill. It's still going strong, better than a few expensive "branded" ones I had over the years.

Likewise with the cheap little stove we got in UK. We abused the hell out of it and it is still A1. Build quality was way way above average which I didn't expect. I certainly believe in buying Irish but not when retailers were charging double the price...............

Also got a huge €45 Kango SDS chisel drill in Argos six or seven years ago. Took out walls with it. Still going strong too...............

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bel2210

we installed a 30kw back boiler stove nearly 4 years ago when we built the house and it's the best thing we put into the house. We heat about 22 radiators off ours, all the hot water and only use the oil a handful of times during the year when it's too late in the evening to bother putting the stove on. Def the only way to go for heating (and make sure the house is well insulated too so you don't lose all the heat). Think it was a hamco stove we put in and have not had a days bother with it.

Advertisement