Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdF - Stair an Ráis on TG4

Options
  • 19-06-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Came across this tonight while watching television with my Granny. Episode 1 was on tonight, not sure how many there'll be in total, and it's already available on the TG4 player at http://www.tg4.ie/ie/player/tg4-player.html

It features a tonne of film footage, most of it artificially coloured and probably remastered in some way, because it looks superb. I caught the last two-thirds of the show I'd say, covering the first editions of the race up until 1960.

Great overview of the zeitgeist of each generation, though doesn't delve into much depth for a lot of it. I'm hoping later shows cover shorter periods in greater details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If you search the site for "tour" you'll also get a recap of the 2012 Tour. There's also a documentary on High Nellies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Any idea when the next episode is? It ended rather abruptly.

The auld sky box didn't seem to think it was a series and could find no listing for it anywhere!

dubmess wrote: »
    Any idea when the next episode is? It ended rather abruptly.

I would hazard a guess at next Wednesday at 21.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Stumbled upon it by accident too..! Great footage of Coppi, Bartoli, Anquetil etc..
    Looking forward to the Merckx era next episode...
    Someone high up in TG4 must be a keen cyclist...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I recorded it. Copped it on the prog. listing in the Sunday Times.
    ALSO....... Setanta are covering the Junior Tour starting 2nd. July. Set a reminder.

Fender76 wrote: »
    Stumbled upon it by accident too..! Great footage of Coppi, Bartoli, Anquetil etc..
    Looking forward to the Merckx era next episode...
    Someone high up in TG4 must be a keen cyclist...

TG4 are the only Irish channel to cover the TdF

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

TdeF preview on Radio 1 now

www.rte.ie/radio

That TG4 clár was iontach ar fad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I think if you do a search in the sky guide for wording "tour" it will show all eposides due to be shown, I think the next part is on at the weekend also 9.25pm, cant remember which days. if you set the Sky box to record one of them it will pick it up as a series and you can record the whole series.

Also ESPN Classic is show highlights from the 2010 and 2011 TDF early next week, of course, I dont think these years count as classics but!!!!!!

http://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport.html

Sunday, June 23 @ 16:30 - re-run of ep1
    Ever since it was created in 1903 by Henri Desgrange, the Tour de France has never ceased to inspire people and attract fans. The interwar period celebrates its own heroes, such as Dédé Leducq, who was very successful. At the end of WWII, France s darling Louison Bobet jostles for first place with a tenacious Fausto Coppi, determined to restore the image of Italy. And, as the 50s are drawing to a close, the sports titan Jacques Anquetil makes a spectacular rise to fame. From its heyday to the 60s, this documentary film tells the story of the Tour de France, an emotion machine that moves in the spotlight of its heroes.

Wednesday, June 26 @ 21:25 - ep2
    From the 60s onwards; technology, a proliferation of sponsors and the internationalization of the most famous cycling competition in the world will bring profound changes to the event. Jacques Anquetil perseverates while Raymond Poulidor, the eternal second becomes the icon of the 70s, as well as the unbeatable Eddy Merckx, the Cannibal. Later, Bernard Hinault will become legend, and finally leaves the podium to the young talented US cyclist Greg Lemond. However, doping scandals, such as the Festina affair that tarnishes the image of sponsors, cyclists and organizers alike reveals a ruthless reality. Lance Armstrong s determination is just an illusion the truth is rapidly uncovered.

Sunday, June 30 @ 16:40 - re-run of ep2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Is the stream working for anyone?
    I'm in Oz and the stream isn't working. It's not giving me an error message complaining that I'm not in Ireland, I click play and nothing happens.

Only getting to watch this now, best part so far is the footage of Vietto sitting on the side of the mountain after giving Magne his wheel (like a good communist :))

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Great program. Fair play to TG4. Second part on wed 26th 21:30. ÍONTACH MAITH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On again at 4-30 today

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

A few more clips from the olden times...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23028684

Advertisement