Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming International Student Funding

Options
  • 19-06-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

The OH is making the big move to Ireland from Germany to study in DIT in September.

She's having some trouble assessing just what funding options are available to her at the moment and while I've received funding in the past, I'm unsure what funding is available for incoming international students.

Can she apply through SUSI or what is the story does anyone know? Really appreciate any help that can be given!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi El Spearo,

You can find all the grant information on the following site: www.susi.ie. If you go through this and have any questions please contact me again and I will help as best I can.

Based on what you have stated it sounds like the applicant would be a Tuition Student. This means she would only be eligible to receive the Fee grant, she would not be entitled to receive the maintenance section. To apply for the grant you need to go the following site: www.grantsonline.ie.

Please contact me should you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html
    Residence
    You must have been legally resident in the State for 3 of the previous 5 years to qualify for a maintenance grant. However, if you are studying elsewhere in the EU for a recognised qualification, and you were resident in the State for 3 of the 5 years before starting that course, you satisfy this requirement. Find more details of this requirement on studentfinance.ie.

If you fulfil all the criteria for a maintenance grant except for the residence condition in the State, you may still qualify for a fee grant or a postgraduate fee contribution as a ‘tuition student’.

A tuition student is someone who fulfils all the conditions for a student grant except for residence in the State, but who has been resident in an EEA state or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years.The members of the EEA (the European Economic Area) are the 27 members of the EU, along with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 osinachi1000

Hello i have a quick question i came to ireland in june 2010 and have a stamp 4, and i just apply for a grant for 2013/2014. will i be eligable for the grant as they need a letter to prove my residence

"If you are a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice and Equality confirming the period of your lawful presence in Ireland. Periods of unlawful presence will not be considered."

Who will i contact for this letter...is it the immigration office in portlaoise or who?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Thanks for the replies guys.

Aoife, just wondering about the criteria for applying. Is there a different one for this tuition grant or is it still based upon parental incomes?

Thanks.

Advertisement