Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

genital warts

Options
  • 19-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Dont know if this is the right forum for this question, if not please move mods.

I have a friend(serious) that has contracted genital warts and wont go to an STI clinic to get them removed and was wanting to know can a doctor get rid of them. The reason why he wont go to the clinic is that his wife works in the hospital and doesnt want her to see him sitting in the waiting area of said clinic.

Ive been telling him thats the least of his worries because when his wife finds out that hes contracted these and potentially gave her them, he'll be getting his marching orders.

He's been telling me that hes only slept with his wife twice and it was months apart and doesnt see any signs and wont be sleeping with her again untill he gets this sorted and wants to know can the doctor treat him instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I'm open to correction on this but I think the first stop is definitely his doctor. They are usually pretty obvious by an exam but I think GP's nearly always take a biopsy of the tissue and send it for analysis to ensure it is in fact the HPV virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

I'm open to correction on this but I think the first stop is definitely his doctor. They are usually pretty obvious by an exam but I think GP's nearly always take a biopsy of the tissue and send it for analysis to ensure it is in fact the HPV virus.

Do they not just refer you to an sti clinic. this is what he was told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Do they not just refer you to an sti clinic. this is what he was told

Who told him that? Absolutely not, a doctor cannot refuse to treat a patient who doesn't wish to attend an STI clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭tootsy70

Who told him that? Absolutely not, a doctor cannot refuse to treat a patient who doesn't wish to attend an STI clinic.

I was thinking the same but he was sure he would be send on to the STI clinic because this is where deals with cases liek this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tootsy70 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but he was sure he would be send on to the STI clinic because this is where deals with cases liek this.
    He won't be. Genital warts are seen by GP's every day, and are generally quite straightforward to get rid of. Usually by using a prescribed topical solution, such as condyline. Doc probably won't burn/freeze them off, due to the 'sensitive' location...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could he not just go to a clinic in another town/city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

buzz84, constructive posts only please. post deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

op, please read the forum charter re medical advice. your friend needs to see his gp and take it from there. thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement