Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Lies - Big TV

Options
  • 19-06-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭

Their second album , while decent, was nothing compared to their first. A couple songs from their new album have been released online.

Nothing too different from the original White Lies sound but the single does sound a smidge more optimistic

[Single] There Goes Our Love Again

http://snd.sc/1at3oZA

Getting Even

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

miralize wrote: »
    Their second album , while decent, was nothing compared to their first. A couple songs from their new album have been released online.

Nothing too different from the original White Lies sound but the single does sound a smidge more optimistic

[Single] There Goes Our Love Again

http://snd.sc/1at3oZA

Getting Even

I actually preferred the 2nd album to their debut

Streetlights, Holy Ghost, Bigger Than Us and Strangers were all monster tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Clemenza wrote: »
    I actually preferred the 2nd album to their debut

Streetlights, Holy Ghost, Bigger Than Us and Strangers were all monster tunes!

The 2nd one grew on me too, the only problem was the poor songs were really poor and the good ones, the ones your mentioned, were great.

However I cannot take to 'Getting Even' at all, it has a terrible chorus. Like they tried to fit all the words in to it without getting any sort of flow.

'There Goes Our Love Again' is ok but nothing special really. They seem to have clipped the drummers wings a fair bit, always thought their sound should revolve around the drums because it was excellent on the first album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Corholio wrote: »
    the only problem was the poor songs were really poor

Good point. There was 2 or 3 really bad tracks, I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So now it's out, what do we all think?

• Advertisement

So now it's out, what do we all think?

Only listened to it twice, but I'm liking it. Few non-inspiring songs but its not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Album of the decade for me!

10/10

Heaven Wait is so awesome

I think the main thing missing, is a narrative, a story, characters. I think thats what made songs like The Price of Love and From the Stars classics for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It took a long time to get here but my copy of BIG TV arrived, looks like I was one of the first pre-orders since I got a signed copy of a print of the album artwork.

A few stand out songs for me - Change, BIG TV, Getting Even. I really want them to tour here so I can go see them live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 The Colour Of Money

Looking forward to buying this when I get home :)

• Advertisement

Having listened to it a few times I'm a little bit disappointed. It has some very good songs and very good moments in songs but there's a few songs that don't do a lot for me (Space i, Tricky to Love, Be Your Man), very much like the second album actually.

The other main grip I have with it is the formulaic nature of the songs, they've strayed from their quirky arranging of songs on the first album, like 'Death', To Lose My Life' and 'E.S.T.' The last two albums arrangement of songs have been pretty regular and lost some of the sparkle of the first album. A lot of the songs are chorus-bridge-hook-chorus, a big reason the first album worked is that almost every song had an individual arranging.

It's a decent album but not going to blow anyone away IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Corholio wrote: »
    Having listened to it a few times I'm a little bit disappointed. It has some very good songs and very good moments in songs but there's a few songs that don't do a lot for me (Space i, Tricky to Love, Be Your Man), very much like the second album actually.

The other main grip I have with it is the formulaic nature of the songs, they've strayed from their quirky arranging of songs on the first album, like 'Death', To Lose My Life' and 'E.S.T.' The last two albums arrangement of songs have been pretty regular and lost some of the sparkle of the first album. A lot of the songs are chorus-bridge-hook-chorus, a big reason the first album worked is that almost every song had an individual arranging.

It's a decent album but not going to blow anyone away IMO.

Pity you are disappointed with it. I think it's fantastic. I think I listen to it twice a days since I bought it!

The only minor gripe I would have with it is that I would prefer if Space I and Space II were longer!

Pity you are disappointed with it. I think it's fantastic. I think I listen to it twice a days since I bought it!

The only minor gripe I would have with it is that I would prefer if Space I and Space II were longer!

Listened to 'To Lose My Life' today and it still sounds fresher than anything they have released since IMO. I've liked some songs from both 2nd and 3rd albums but as an overall sound I dont think they've gone the way I hoped they would.

Small things like the gradually increasing volume at the start of 'A Place To Hide' or the narrative lyrics of both 'The Price of Love' and 'From The Stars' are just things that are missing on this album. I really like the start of 'Getting Even', wished they had more stuff like that on this one.

Advertisement