Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not sure, is this correct??

Options
  • 19-06-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

I'll try to keep this as short as possible!!

I was made redundant in Aug 2011, I was on JSB for a year after while I was pregnant.
    Once I had my baby I was diagnosed with PND & have been getting sick payments which is €188 & I then get €14 for my son totaling in €202 a week.
    My partner (not married but co habiting) was also made redundant in Aug 2011 & was on JSB for a year. He then got a part time job (only work he could find) & was getting subsidised by the SW to the tune of €44.
    My partner subsquently lost that part time job 2 weeks ago but has been told that he is not entitled to anymore than the €44 he always got from SW as I am in receipt of the sick payment.
    This means we've to survive on just €246 a week, our mortgage a week costs €240.
    I just don't understand how he can be entitled to the exact same payment whether working or not.
    I'm not too up on these things so was hoping those who know more could verify the above is the norm, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

lrushe wrote: »
    I'll try to keep this as short as possible!!

I was made redundant in Aug 2011, I was on JSB for a year after while I was pregnant.
    Once I had my baby I was diagnosed with PND & have been getting sick payments which is €188 & I then get €14 for my son totaling in €202 a week.
    My partner (not married but co habiting) was also made redundant in Aug 2011 & was on JSB for a year. He then got a part time job (only work he could find) & was getting subsidised by the SW to the tune of €44.
    My partner subsquently lost that part time job 2 weeks ago but has been told that he is not entitled to anymore than the €44 he always got from SW as I am in receipt of the sick payment.
    This means we've to survive on just €246 a week, our mortgage a week costs €240.
    I just don't understand how he can be entitled to the exact same payment whether working or not.
    I'm not too up on these things so was hoping those who know more could verify the above is the norm, thanks.

if you look on http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-supports.aspx you should get the payment table you are looking for and from what i can make out you should get a full rate of €188 for yourself and a half rate of €124.80 for your partner and €29.80 for each child so that gives a weekley total of €342.60 if you were on jobseekers allowance but maybe you should consider going into your local citizen information centre for more inrformation seen as your on sick payment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Have you come to an alternative payment agreement with your mortgage provider? If not, you should so so asap as you won't be eligible to apply for Mortgage Interest Supplement until 12 months after that, which hopefully you won't need to, but it looks as if you would need to come to an arrangement with your lender anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Have you come to an alternative payment agreement with your mortgage provider? If not, you should so so asap as you won't be eligible to apply for Mortgage Interest Supplement until 12 months after that, which hopefully you won't need to, but it looks as if you would need to come to an arrangement with your lender anyway.

Do you mean I wouldn't be entitled to MIS until 12 months after I contact my mortgage lender??
    I'm hoping not the have to mess around with my mortgage payments if I can, I don't like the idea of interest only etc. as it's just kicking the can down the road imo, I fought hard the past two years to keep up my full payments, it hasn't been easy but I've managed it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

lrushe wrote: »
    Do you mean I wouldn't be entitled to MIS until 12 months after I contact my mortgage lender??
    I'm hoping not the have to mess around with my mortgage payments if I can, I don't like the idea of interest only etc. as it's just kicking the can down the road imo, I fought hard the past two years to keep up my full payments, it hasn't been easy but I've managed it so far.
    Yes, you wouldn't be entitled to it until 12 months after you enter an arrangement.

I can understand where you're coming from, but if your repayments are €240 a week surely something else is suffering? By that I mean some other bills must be going into arrears so unfortunately you may be kicking the can down the road in some form or other, & to alleviate more stress & hardship it may be in your best interest to contact your mortgage provider to try to come to some sort of an arrangement. It doesn't have to be interest only - though that's what I'd be pushing for if I was in your present position.

Hopefully this is just a temporary blip & things will improve in time, but you should look into it further & discuss it with your partner.

Advertisement