Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayorless?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Congrats to Cllr Marcella McGarry on being elected our new Mayor (not that I ever agreed with that cross party pact system but thats being done before).

However next year, 400 years of the right and tradition under a Royal Charter comes to an end next year when the Borough Council will be abolished under a Government cost-saving initiative.

So does that mean we'll never have a Mayor again? OK many aspects of the Borough Council are a waste of money, but there's something about a Mayor that instills a bit of civic pride no matter who they are. Who will greet foreign dignataries from then on? Who will hand out glasses of coke and orange juice to schools and junior sports teams when they win national championships? And the St Paddys Day Parade will be gapless as every second group won't stop to try to impress the Mayor.

Can we the citizens of Sligo say, regardless of having no Borough Council, we want a Mayor anyway (dibs on I being first)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Plazaman wrote: »
    but there's something about a Mayor that instills a bit of civic pride no matter who they are.

Seriously... Pride is not a word I'd have associated with, nor is it something I'd feel when I think back upon, the Mayors we've usually had in this town.
    I try not to be blinded by an office held, a title or any dangling chain and instead look at the individual and judge weither or not that individual themselves are worthy of any civic pride.
    For a long time this office has been nothing more than musical chairs.

She stepped out, I stepped in again
    I stepped out and she stepped in again
    She stepped out, I stepped in again...

Most that I can remember from recent years have been little more than self serving sanctimonious attention seeking gombeens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Most that I can remember from recent years have been little more than self serving sanctimonious attention seeking gombeens

I'd have to say I agree with you, we've had our fair share of Richard Heads in the role. But I'm looking at it more as civic pride in the office rather than the person (sounds like that quote from Band of Brothers, "...we salute the rank, not the man").

Maybe it's just me but I think it's nice to be able to say Sligo has a Mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Amazing to think the rules and statues of a former colonial master have held sway here for so long.

Anyway, I'll nominate my dog for mayor. Because he's got energy, drive and more intelligence than any of the previous incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

So does that mean we'll never have a Mayor again? OK many aspects of the Borough Council are a waste of money, but there's something about a Mayor that instills a bit of civic pride no matter who they are. Who will greet foreign dignataries from then on? Who will hand out glasses of coke and orange juice to schools and junior sports teams when they win national championships? And the St Paddys Day Parade will be gapless as every second group won't stop to try to impress the Mayor.

Can we the citizens of Sligo say, regardless of having no Borough Council, we want a Mayor anyway (dibs on I being first)?

Given the conduct of some of the recent holders of the office (and one in particular), it may well be no loss.

Advertisement