Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity prices?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Ok so I dont usually rage on the forums, when I get a bill I normally grind my teeth for a while and pay but today they just crossed the limit.

I normally pay 350-380 in winter, every two months (1bed app mind you) which is high but ok, lets not argue about it...

This time I got 600 euro bill for two months!!! So I called the customer support and they told me that my previous bills were estimated and last month when they actually did the reading they found out my usage was higher!!! I mean the bloke tried convincing me that paying 600 for two months in summer is abos****inlutly normal for 1 Bed app - and no I do not have a weed plantation either ;-)

So now I am wondering - is my meter rigged and am I paying for half of the floor or is someone seriously taking a piss in Airtricity?????????

Any feedback guys?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'd guess storage heaters or electric heating of some sort?

Not much you can do about the bill if the previous was estimates and an actual reading was higher. You can talk to them and come up with a payment plan. I'm in a 4 bed apartment over 2 floors and my Airtricity bill for gas and elec is usually about €120 every 2 months for a family of 4. No storage heating or electric heating of any kind. Gas for heating water, rads and oven hobs. Electric oven, tv, sky box, pc and your normal stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Those bills sound insane. I have a 3 bed apt, lots of electrical devices, and mine never reaches close to those levels.

Sounds like you've a 6 bed place, lived in 24/7 with every electrical device on ... either that or you're running a cannabis farm. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Also meant to say, the absolute best thing you can do is read your meter once a month or even just a week or so before the bill is due and submit it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sure I had 300e bills for a 2 bed apartment which was normal. Then I got a 500e one, and not a load of estimates and everything and the like, just apparently my gas usage went up astronomically according to them, which I don't think, only a bit because of the cold spell. But I am going to be paying it off until next bloody winter. The last two bills have been the 300 mark again so it is insane money. As soon as I pay the bill, I am gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I have a 2 bed flat with a fair bit of electricity going including a 3KW fan heater for at least an hour a day and my bills are only ~€85 per two months. By the sounds of it you have an electrical problem. Do you have access to the meter yourself?

Go look at the meter and have a look at the speed of the dial.
    Go back inside and turn everything off and go look at the meter again, has it changed?
    If it hasn't then UNPLUG everything and check again. This should have basically stopped the meter running now.
    Time consuming but plug things back in one by one and keep checking the meter to see what is spinning the dial up a LOT.

I've had it before, and one of the other tenants in this house has the same problem. He has yet to check it out though. It could be anything from a dodgy light fitting to a dodgy plugboard that is using all the electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭tkrysiak

Thanks for answers guys - much appreciated !!!

This has now been resolved. After an hour of screaming on some poor guy on the other side of the phone they have located the issue and as usual with Airtricity it was the same thing - creative accounting!

They have reversed my previous bill and gave me credit, the bill of 600 was actually for 4 months instead of two with the SLIGHT detail missing: they forgot to apply 400 euro credit...

Still, I see that even 300 euro every two months seems a bit high compared to the rest of you so I will run a couple of tests mentioned in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭amber2

Still sounds high, live in 3 bed house and pay €150 summer months & €170/180 winter months, granted no storage heaters but you are still over double my bi monthly bill for a 1 bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

tkrysiak wrote: »

This has now been resolved. After an hour of screaming on some poor guy on the other side of the phone they have located the issue and as usual with Airtricity it was the same thing - creative accounting!

They have reversed my previous bill and gave me credit, the bill of 600 was actually for 4 months instead of two with the SLIGHT detail missing: they forgot to apply 400 euro credit...

Still, I see that even 300 euro every two months seems a bit high compared to the rest of you so I will run a couple of tests mentioned in the thread.

Still dont see what mistake they made.... did the bill they sent to you say it was for 4 months or did they only discover this over the phone?

So what they told you about estimates was all crap?

Did they take a DD and not apply it to your account?

Thats shocking, if you paid this by DD, when would they ring you and tell you your money was resting in their account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tkrysiak wrote: »

Don't hold your breath waiting on a credit on your account! from people's accounts on boards.ie you will have to write to them with a "Formal Complaint" and put them through that whole process to oblige them to administer your account properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hi tkrysiak

If you want to change suppliers it is very easy to do.

If you look up bonkers.ie you can put in the details of your plan and what you spend and it will show other the other plans you can now get.
    After you do this you just need to ring your new supplier have your bill with you when you do this as they will ask you for a number which is printed on your bill.
    You will then get a letter sent to you in the post advising you of the change of supplier. You will get a final bill from airtricity after you do this.

Also do the following to keep your bills down:
    Be aware of how long your leaving the immersion on to heat water.
    Also hang clothes out to dry or dry them on clothes racks rather than using the tumble dryer.
    Also keep your fridge freezer defrosted on a regular basis as it won't use as much electricity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement