Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BW conversion - C&C

Options
  • 19-06-2013 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

my 1st real attempt at a B&W conversion . Done in lightroom, from an original RAW file. C&C welcome, thanks!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

personally it looks a little flat to me. A big of dodging and burning would give it some depth.

Nice composition tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hello Foxt, it seems a tad flat to me too. Did you try increasing the Clarity slider?

I'd also like to see it with the "Lights" slider increased on the Tone Curve panel.

I'm not sure what else could be done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the main problem is the original image is not very eyecatching; it's a bit static, so you're kinda hobbled by that; there's no real focal point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks for your comments. Is this better? overcooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

There's a little too much contrast and you've clipped the blacks in these areas. 258872.jpg
    Nothing too serious but you should try and keep the detail in the dark areas if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Maybe just move the Blacks slider to the right a bit. I think it's an improvement though. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This actually looks good now. Has depth and shape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

The light is very poor in the original image so you aren't going to get a good b&w regardless of what you do. Lightroom can't create light.

Go back again when you have a nice low sun on the lighthouse and have another go. With some good light you should be able to get proper highlights and shadows and create a proper b&w.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

my c&c would be - Why bother converting ? looks much better in colour to me.

Advertisement