Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions on the telephony API

Options
  • 19-06-2013 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have some questions on the telephony API - how to interpret signal strength (RSSI), neighbour sets and so on. Anyone out there got experience in this area?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Which one? iOS, Android, Windows, WTAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bengii

Android in the first instance, but IoS to follow. I know there are field test modes so the info is available, just trying to understand variables and structures in order to get similar info into an app

With Android you'd access that information using:

CellSignalStrengthCdma
    CellSignalStrengthGsm
    CellSignalStrengthLte

You'll also need the READ_PHONE_STATE permission to do this (and the MODIFY_PHONE_STATE permission to change anything).

If you Google for examples on the above you should find some quickly enough.

Thanks. Those entries do not return items such as the BLER (block error rate), which is what one of the items I am after

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bengii wrote: »
    Thanks. Those entries do not return items such as the BLER (block error rate), which is what one of the items I am after

You can get the bit error rate if that's any good?

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/SignalStrength.html#getGsmBitErrorRate()

• Advertisement

That's more associated with LTE, is it not? If so, it might simply be something that isn't yet handled by the API, but will be added later.

Can you not determine this another way? Like testing the connection?

weeeeeelll, I am more interested in UMTS (3G and LTE) the BER is more 2G focussed. The BLER is block error rate and is a measure used by the network to figure out how much data can be pushed down the pipe. There may be alternatives but I have seen it even on IoS in field test mode and I'm keen to access it if at all possible

weeeeeelll, I am more interested in UMTS (3G and LTE) the BER is more 2G focussed.
    I've not worked with it before, although I've come across it, so I don't have an answer at hand without spending time researching it, I'm afraid.

No worries, thanks for the pointers. AS I find out more I'll add to this post - all other comments welcome also

Advertisement