Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern European Vet Med

Options
  • 18-06-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I know there's plenty of threads on this and sorry for being lazy and not searching through them all before asking :p

My question is this: Are these courses such as the ones in Warsaw or Budapest reputable courses? Would they be of the same quality of the UCD course, I know they won't qualify you to work in USA/Canada like UCD straight off but do you leave the course equally skilled and capable as a UCD vet student?

A lot of people I know (parents included) have a bad attitude towards the idea of me studying in eastern europe, as if I'll be getting a 2nd class degree from a 2nd class university. This is bull right?!? right?!?

Currently doing a Science degree as I failed to get the sky high point when I was doing the Leaving cert. Entering final year in Sept (pending on results :rolleyes:) so I said i'd start gathering information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi just stumbled across your thread looking for something else. I've just qualified as a vet nurse and studying in Budapest is one of the options some of my class mates have considered. From different opinions that I have heard over the past few years the qualifications from Budapest and Slovakia are perfectly good but you may need to concentrate more on getting practical experience in Ireland during your holidays as you won't have the advantage that the UCD students have with the hospital rotations they do.
    Not criticising UCD students as I met lots of nice ones but as UCD is the only place to do veterinary in Ireland there tends to be a bit of a clique mentality so maybe that's where the criticism of doing veterinary abroad comes from. I worked with a vet who had qualified in Slovakia and she has had no problem finding work and that's what matters really. Do you know any experienced vets that you can talk to about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pbthevet

Dont be put off one bit.

Know plenty of vets that studied there. Practical skills arent thought as well but so what. You get plenty of experience back home with your own vet as vet experience is part of the required course work.

The academic workload is a wee bit harder, as they include a more broader curriculum. Exams tough too i hear. But same goes for ucd.

Go for it. You wont be lonely either. Plenty of irish out there.

Just make sure veterinary is what you want to do. Remember average job in ireland will involve an out of hours rota, average 1 in 3 rota . . . . That means ur working weekends . . . . Theres no such thing as overtime and salaries are around 30-35k so dont expect to earn millions

Advertisement