Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do re: interviews

Options
  • 18-06-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

So, after a long time of no work and only sporadic interviews, suddenly 3 interviews come along like buses, or women, or whatever the expression is...

Problem being I've just started a job, a 6 week temp contract. I doubt very much this work will be extended. The other jobs are for longer terms, specifically maternity and 1 year contracts. I got out of work today using excuses to attend one of the interviews, but I know I can't do this again next week to attend another two interviews (the working day is strict and there's no opportunities to make it up elsewhere).

So, what do I do? Obviously there's absolutely no guarantees I can secure any of these jobs. But they've obviously better prospects and for much longer terms. How would Social Welfare consider my position if I was to leave current temp job to attend for these interviews? Or any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Try to reschedule them so they're on the same day. Pull a sickie.

Set the sickie up a couple of days beforehand. Just drop casual "feeling unwell" comments to a couple of people. Spend longe than normal in the bathroom the second day. The morning of the interviews lie across your bed on your back stretching your neck over the side & call the sickline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Contact the prospective employers to inquire if it's possible to do an early morning, lunchtime or late evening interview.

If any of those is possible see what suits you best. You could ask your present employer to oblige you by letting you arrive late, leave early or take an extended lunch break and offer to make up the time by coming in early, staying late or taking a shorter lunch break on another occasion.

Advertisement