Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DELL PowerEdge™ T110 II

Options
  • 18-06-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Was looking at getting a Dell PowerEdge Server T11o II, Spec would be

Intel® Xeon® E3-1220, 4C/4T, 3.10GHz, 8M Cache, 80W TDP, Turbo
    4GB Memory (1x4GB), 1600Mhz, Dual Ranked, Low Volt UDIMM (speed is CPU dependent)
    500GB, SATA, 3.5-in, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive (Cabled)

I was looking at RAID but i was reading that their RAID is Software based.. Which ESXi dose not support, Was Looking at crucial and getting 28 GB of Ram off them which comes in at 278 euro

So it ill give me a total of 32GB of Ram, Also buy some Cheap Sata Hard drives off Ebay or off the net,

Would this Server be enough to Install ESXi 5.1 and VSphere Center, I am looking at Installing Server 2012, Server 2012 Core Edition, Windows 7 & Windows 8 also install Linux Red Hat Enterprise

Was looking at Setting this up as a Test Lab, for VCP VSphere Course and MCSA that im thinking of doing.

Would The Server handle Running Server 2012 & Core Edition at the Same time ? was looking at maybe Set the Core Edition as a File Share Server & the Full as the DHCP Server. i should have more then enough Ram 32 GB Server 2012 can run on 512 Mb of Ram so 4 Gb each should be more then enough to handle The Full and maybe 1GB for the Core, I Can Run them both off One 2TB hard Drive give the DHCP 500GB and the File Server 1.5TB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Cork24 wrote: »
    Was looking at getting a Dell PowerEdge Server T11o II, Spec would be

Intel® Xeon® E3-1220, 4C/4T, 3.10GHz, 8M Cache, 80W TDP, Turbo
    4GB Memory (1x4GB), 1600Mhz, Dual Ranked, Low Volt UDIMM (speed is CPU dependent)
    500GB, SATA, 3.5-in, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive (Cabled)

I was looking at RAID but i was reading that their RAID is Software based.. Which ESXi dose not support, Was Looking at crucial and getting 28 GB of Ram off them which comes in at 278 euro

So it ill give me a total of 32GB of Ram, Also buy some Cheap Sata Hard drives off Ebay or off the net,

Would this Server be enough to Install ESXi 5.1 and VSphere Center, I am looking at Installing Server 2012, Server 2012 Core Edition, Windows 7 & Windows 8 also install Linux Red Hat Enterprise

Was looking at Setting this up as a Test Lab, for VCP VSphere Course and MCSA that im thinking of doing.

Would The Server handle Running Server 2012 & Core Edition at the Same time ? was looking at maybe Set the Core Edition as a File Share Server & the Full as the DHCP Server. i should have more then enough Ram 32 GB Server 2012 can run on 512 Mb of Ram so 4 Gb each should be more then enough to handle The Full and maybe 1GB for the Core, I Can Run them both off One 2TB hard Drive give the DHCP 500GB and the File Server 1.5TB

You might want to check whether the server as you have described is compatible with VMware ESXi. I had a quick look at the compatability guide at http://www,vmware.com/go/hcl and didn't see that the server you listed will go beyond 16GB.

If you want to play with vCenter and ESXi for VCP purposes, you will probably want to have a cluster of ESX hosts so you can try cluster features such as HA & DRS etc. This can be done by running ESXi in a VM (but takes a bit of hacking about). Each ESX VM would need 2 vCPUs and about 4B RAM, but these can be overcommitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

In custom spec theirs an option for 32gb of ram

So I don't know

Advertisement