Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright meteorite over Dublin just now!

Options
  • 18-06-2013 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Just took the dog out for a crap and saw a very bright meteorite streaming across the sky heading roughly north.

It must have been reasonably substantial because it lasted a while and only disappeared from my view after going behind trees.

Anyone else spot it? I was viewing it from south Dublin btw. Best one I have ever been lucky enough to see :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Just took the dog out for a crap and saw a very bright meteorite streaming across the sky heading roughly north.

It must have been reasonably substantial because it lasted a while and only disappeared from my view after going behind trees.

Anyone else spot it? I was viewing it from south Dublin btw. Best one I have ever been lucky enough to see :-)

just posted about it myself, was the longest i've every seen. seem to have a flash in the middle too. looking from south quays towards the northside myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

I saw it also.
    On my way to limerick from Cork.
    Visible for quiet a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nice one.

Must have been fairly bright.

Did it break up at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Kersh wrote: »
    Nice one.

Must have been fairly bright.

Did it break up at all?

from what i saw about half way down there was a ball of light but it continued straight after, no break up as such. like this but vertical:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Yes from what saw, it never broke up.
    I very disappointed, the part of the road i was driving at the time,i was in a glen, big banks and trees on the sides. Could not have been in a worst part.

It went down behind the trees in all its glory.
    A third of the sky was out of my view :(
    I think i lost another 2 or 3 seconds viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

You guys are really lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

just being pedantic--it's only a meteorite when something is recovered on the ground

Did anybody hear anything--sonic booms? If not it was likely hundreds of miles away and probably ended up in the sea if it was going north

no mention on http://lists.meteorobs.org/pipermail/meteorobs/2013-June/thread.html so unlikely it was picked up on all sky cameras or radar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nmop_apisdn

just being pedantic--it's only a meteorite when something is recovered on the ground
    Whats it called flying by?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

meteor generally
    some define a meteor with brightness of greater than -14 as a bolide though this isn't tightly defined or used by everyone.

Fireball is also sometimes used for bright meteors

Advertisement