Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EGR valve gunged up

Options
  • 17-06-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

am having an on going problem with the egr valve in a ssyangyong kyron diesel . Its just all bunged up with an oily , tarry , sooty type stuff .
    Am having to remove it and manually clean it out every 3 to 4 weeks .I`ll have it spotless and within a few weeks i`ll be on the motorway giving it bit of acceleration ant the engine light will come on and will have loss of power .
    am bloody fed up with it . I use good fuel , but I did pour a lot of crap into an injector to try to loosen it , but that was 10,000, miles ago and thought it would have cleared by now.
    Is there something funny being put into diesel ,or is there a simpler answer ?
    Any advice appreciated . Tried dipatane .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Blank off the egr port. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

its possible the valve itself is faulty, is it a vacuum operated valve or an electrically operated valve? if the valve is electrically operated, the motor that opens and shuts it could be weak, it mightened be closing completely causing your sooting problem,
    On the other hand a bad injector could be delivering excess fuel, this in turn would cause excessive soot in the exhaust,

Sometimes when you blank the valve on newer diesels it causes the engine management light to come on, the amount of air flow into the engine is measured by the air flow meter, this reading changes when the egr gases flow onto the inlet manifold, if the egr valve is blanked, no egr gas flows and it brings the eml on and a fault code for egr low flow.

Whats the fault code when it light comes on?
    Is there much black smoke from the exhaust when theres no fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make a blanking plate but leave a 6mm hole in the middle.
    This allows enough exhaust gas to enter the manifold that it fools the engine into thinking that there is exhaust running through it but not enough to block the port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Make another blanking plate for the EMS light after you make the blanking plate for the egr.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This allows enough exhaust gas to enter the manifold that it fools the engine into thinking that there is exhaust running through it but not enough to block the port.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

CJhaughey wrote: »

some vehicles are more sensitive than other when it comes to measuring egr flow, I had a transit that had a fault code for low egr flow and it turned out to be the metal pipe from the egr valve that supplies the egr gas to the inlet manifold was partially blocked with carbon/soot, the metal pipe is aprox 25mm in diameter and was restricted to about 10mm, this still wasn't enough egr flow to stop the engine management light from coming on,
    In saying that, a transit will put the engine light on for almost anything

Advertisement