Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT role in jobbridge worth it??

Options
  • 17-06-2013 7:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

I have been hearing alot of bad stuff about the jobbridge scheme but haven't been talking to anyone who took up an IT based role in it.

Just wondering if any of you did an internship in an IT environment and was it a waste of time??or did you get alot of training,get kept on etc..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What kind of role? There is a serious skills shortage in IT at the moment and for most roles you should be able to find a paying entry-level position rather than needing what is really a fairly abusive internship process.

An acquaintance of mine did a JB role as the sole IT person for a company who didn't have one and thought they should see if they'd work better with one - he now works for them fulltime. That is literally the only case of someone doing an IT JB that I'm aware of at all. 100% sucess rate... from one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 fletch1988

MYOB wrote: »
    What kind of role? There is a serious skills shortage in IT at the moment and for most roles you should be able to find a paying entry-level position rather than needing what is really a fairly abusive internship process.

An acquaintance of mine did a JB role as the sole IT person for a company who didn't have one and thought they should see if they'd work better with one - he now works for them fulltime. That is literally the only case of someone doing an IT JB that I'm aware of at all. 100% sucess rate... from one.

thanks for the reply but i applied for literally over 100 entry level jobs and got no word back...

i have over a years full time study in IT done and my comptia A+ network + and a mcsa in windows 7..i thought that would have been more than enough to get a chance in a low paid entry job

think i will avoid the JB idea seems like alot of companies are abusing the system...

its slave labour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I formally got my employment contract today after doing an IT based Jobbridge for the last few months. Much Like you I got nowhere with no experience.

Nate

I formally got my employment contract today after doing an IT based Jobbridge for the last few months. Much Like you I got nowhere with no experience.

Nate

congrats ...what role was it??

did you do 6 months of 9??

thats good news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The internship was a Helpdesk role (9 months), but as it is a small company, I've got my hands on everything from Routers/Firewalls to Hyper-V/AD/Exchange/Gateway servers, for the 40 or so companies we support.

When I started I didn't realise how much stuff I didn't know about to be honest. But strangely I find this stuff fascinating and even if I hadn't been offered a job, the knowledge I gained was invaluable. If you do an internship, ask lots and lots of questions. Soak up as much info as you can.

Also take any training or exams offered - I now have an MCP in Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure, to go with the CCNA I already had before i started, and I'll be beginning study for the MCSA Server 2012 soon. They pay for all of the study materials and exams.

Nate

The internship was a Helpdesk role (9 months), but as it is a small company, I've got my hands on everything from Routers/Firewalls to Hyper-V/AD/Exchange/Gateway servers, for the 40 or so companies we support.

When I started I didn't realise how much stuff I didn't know about to be honest. But strangely I find this stuff fascinating and even if I hadn't been offered a job, the knowledge I gained was invaluable. If you do an internship, ask lots and lots of questions. Soak up as much info as you can.

Also take any training or exams offered - I now have an MCP in Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure, to go with the CCNA I already had before i started, and I'll be beginning study for the MCSA Server 2012 soon. They pay for all of the study materials and exams.

Nate

thats brilliant man I applied for a few helpdesk roles(9months)myself...

Landed on your feet there,i only have A+ network+ and MCSA Windows 7 but will defo be looking at doing my certs in the next couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Ok, jobbridge is probably not a great idea for the country however use the scheme to your advantage.

I have a bsc in computer science.. A few years back I quit my job in finance in an effort to change career. I assumed with a degree in computer science that I would find an entry level position. I was wrong, despite my other work experience, degree etc I could not find work. Every interview went well but ended the same way. No experience.

In the end I took an internship with a multi national. They were frantastic and I gained a lot of experience..9 months later I applied for 3 positions, got offered 2/3.

Cut a long story short, the scheme works for the right person in the right internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got in to a "proper" IT job after 5 months experience on helldesk for a telecoms (so basically, Not IT) firm. This was with no certification at all - I've collected my MCSE, CCNA (now expired) and the degree I'm going for while in the industry. You may need to lower your sights at the start to something that is only marginally IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I did a FAS course over last winter which included A+ and one of the lads on the course took an internship at the place where he did his 4 weeks experience and has been told he will be made permanent after the 9 months. I had the option of going for a couple of jobbridge positions but decided against it as it would mean doing a second job to pay the bills and Ive had enough of that. Thankfully I got sorted and start a new tech support/helpdesk job in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement