Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for club speakers please...

Options
  • 17-06-2013 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm trying to organize some guest speakers for the rest of the year in the Athy photo club (Co. Kildare) and I'd love to hear some recommendations/suggestions.

Doesn't have to be any particular style and could be either a practical workshop or an inspirational talk on the person's work/art. Time would be be 90mins to 2 hours.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

This place is full of people who have done this before.

I've given talks to a good dfew clubs on sports photography.

I have also used boards members to give talks in our camera club, with great success, on topics from wedding photography, studio photography, event photography, etc, etc.

Boards is a great community of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm trying to organize some guest speakers for the rest of the year in the Athy photo club (Co. Kildare) and I'd love to hear some recommendations/suggestions.

Doesn't have to be any particular style and could be either a practical workshop or an inspirational talk on the person's work/art. Time would be be 90mins to 2 hours.

Thanks in advance!

one person stands out , if you could get him , John Minihan , think he is based in Cork now . He might be interested in returning where it all started - his work on Athy when growing up, is some of the best work by any irish photographer. If you get him , please give me a shout ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Watching this thread with interest as I'm in the same boat this year with Navan Camera Club.
    We had sineadw give us a great talk last year on printing and the year before we had nonsequitir give a talk on Lightroom and also eyeblinks on Street. We also had Paulw on Sports Photography.

So if anyone is up for giving a talk to either kelly1 or Navan, feel free to put your hand up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

Peter Gordon, Enda Cavanagh or Daragh Muldowney.
    Also Des Connors - best speaker ever. Des gives a one man show really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

hand up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

I have shown my work and spoke at a few clubs about film photography. I'd be happy to do for any other clubs.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Paulw, unfortunately sports photography doesn't feature much in our club but I'll certainly keep you in mind.

TheBaz, I dropped John a mail and he'd be willing to pay us a visit. I just need to check if the club is interested in getting him up from Cork. I'll drop you a PM if we decide to go ahead.

P&B, thanks for the suggestions. I tried getting in touch with Eyeblinks on Twitter but he's gone very quiet on me...

Bullpost, what does Des speak about?

Stcstc (Stephen?), do you give talks on colour management by any chance? We don't do a lot of printing in the club but we need to get a handle on colour management.

Thefizz, I'll take a look at your links, thanks.

sure, i have done a few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭bullpost

When I saw Des he spoke about his Kingfisher photography.
    I think he's now moved on to other types of photography.
    Regardless of the topic , this guy has comic timing so good it puts most stand-ups to shame.

Get him if you can.
    kelly1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Paulw, unfortunately sports photography doesn't feature much in our club but I'll certainly keep you in mind.

TheBaz, I dropped John a mail and he'd be willing to pay us a visit. I just need to check if the club is interested in getting him up from Cork. I'll drop you a PM if we decide to go ahead.

P&B, thanks for the suggestions. I tried getting in touch with Eyeblinks on Twitter but he's gone very quiet on me...

Bullpost, what does Des speak about?

Stcstc (Stephen?), do you give talks on colour management by any chance? We don't do a lot of printing in the club but we need to get a handle on colour management.

Thefizz, I'll take a look at your links, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Google Carrie Davenport.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

stcstc wrote: »
    hand up!!

Consider yourself booked for Navan

You too Peter :-)

tee hee, sure no worries

Can anyone suggest someone who really understands composition and who would be will to give a talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

I talked/shown my work at a few clubs last year, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring so :-) if anyone would have me :o

Bren:)

maddog wrote: »
    I talked/shown my work at a few clubs last year, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring so :-) if anyone would have me :o

Bren:)
    Sending PM Bren.

Advertisement