Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered for VAT but paid VAT on goods from UK

Options
  • 17-06-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if someone could help me.
    I am an registered from VAT here in Ireland.
    I recently purchased some goods at a auction in the UK that are directly related to my line of work.
    I have often purchased goods in the UK before and not had to pay VAT (intra-Community acquisition) in the UK but this time the auctioneer would not release the goods until all UK VAT was paid on the goods so I paid VAT as I needed the goods goods.

I am wondering how I handle this transaction in terms of accounting i.e. I have paid the VAT in the UK which I think I should not have had to. My own accountant doesn't seem to now what is involved.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

You and your accountant will find all the answers here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/refunds/unregistered-persons-vat-reclaims-faqs.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

The UK supplier may have been correct if they were not responsible for the goods being delivered outside the UK and you just picked them up yourself at the auction.

You may be able to reclaim the UK Vat back online via ROS via EVR.

It will therefore depend on the above whether the UK VAT is a cost to your or is refundable and therefore the correct accounting treatment.

Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

The UK supplier may have been correct if they were not responsible for the goods being delivered outside the UK and you just picked them up yourself at the auction.

Think that this is the important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭insullation

OP Here - Thanks very much to all that replied as I think that answers my question.

Advertisement