Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats my entitlements

Options
  • 17-06-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question... I;ve just finished college and i am working p/t 20 hours a week,. Im 24 and living at home. can I claim anything? like job seekers, dole, rent allowance? i went into the social welfare office and they were quite rude and ignorant.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How many days a week do you work?

Living at home = no rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

psalbmb wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question... I;ve just finished college and i am working p/t 20 hours a week,. Im 24 and living at home. can I claim anything? like job seekers, dole, rent allowance? i went into the social welfare office and they were quite rude and ignorant.

Many Thanks

Only thing you may be entitled to is job seekers but only if youre working 3 days or under, which means u will get paid for the other 3 or more days. Also you may be entitled to a medical card depending on your salary from your employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are working 3 days or less you can apply for jobseekers allowance (assuming you dont have an entitlement to jobseekers benefit) which is a means tested payment. As you are <25 years and living at home your parents earnings as well as your own will be assessed for means.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

i work 5 days a week, 4 hours per day, however loads of people in my job who are non-nationals are able to claim this payment? I think they are telling the social tht their doing the 5 days in 3 perhaps? would i qualify for a grant to go back to college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

What did your local Social Welfare office say when you asked all these questions?
    I know they can be quite rude but they really are the only people who are fully informed enough to give you all the correct answers. Maybe ring them and schedule an appointment to discuss your options with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

psalbmb wrote: »
    i work 5 days a week, 4 hours per day, however loads of people in my job who are non-nationals are able to claim this payment? I think they are telling the social tht their doing the 5 days in 3 perhaps? would i qualify for a grant to go back to college?

The only way they can do that is by getting your employer to agree to lie to sw so i dont know how theyre doing that. you wouldnt be entitled to any social welfare payments as youre over the 3 days. for grants you would have to get in touch with vtos! you would only be entitled to back to education if you are unemployed for 6 months and signing on fulltime.

and we're not all rude :P

Advertisement