Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painful Switch to Sky Broadband

Options
  • 17-06-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Really regretting switching to Sky Broadband and would urge other users caution before switching.

I'd get over the fact that Sky Broadband seems slower than my previous provider and things are still up in the air with Fibre broaband and their customer support reps gave inconsitent replies if at all when asked but....

Just found out on my bank statement that although I switched my phone and broadband services last March from Vodafone, I've still been billed €55 per month from Vodafone in addition to Sky broadband. I instructed Sky to switch both my phone and broadband but Vodafone said this morning that Sky only instructed phone to be switched. 30mins on the phone to them this morning and no satisifcation and told talk to Sky as they made the error.

Now another 20mins on the phone to Sky and they say not their problem and they cant do anything for me.

Eitherway I've been billed for 3months extra due to a blunder in paperwork and Sky have been completely unhelpful. While new customers are getting 6 months free I have been more than double charged for the past 3 months and no help from Sky.

Really sick of Sky now and cant wait until my contract expires and will do everything possible to get people to go elsewhere and avoid their services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Seamus6971

You are not the only, my speeds have nosedived since Friday. Double charged me in my first month. Signed up for €37.50 for the first three months. The offer was a scam in a effect you are only getting one month at that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Really regretting switching to Sky Broadband and would urge other users caution before switching.

I'd get over the fact that Sky Broadband seems slower than my previous provider and things are still up in the air with Fibre broaband and their customer support reps gave inconsitent replies if at all when asked but....

Just found out on my bank statement that although I switched my phone and broadband services last March from Vodafone, I've still been billed €55 per month from Vodafone in addition to Sky broadband. I instructed Sky to switch both my phone and broadband but Vodafone said this morning that Sky only instructed phone to be switched. 30mins on the phone to them this morning and no satisifcation and told talk to Sky as they made the error.

Now another 20mins on the phone to Sky and they say not their problem and they cant do anything for me.

Eitherway I've been billed for 3months extra due to a blunder in paperwork and Sky have been completely unhelpful. While new customers are getting 6 months free I have been more than double charged for the past 3 months and no help from Sky.

Really sick of Sky now and cant wait until my contract expires and will do everything possible to get people to go elsewhere and avoid their services.
    so because youve had a few problems you would advise everyone to steer clear, thats a bit hysterical.
    dont get me wrong, i understand its a pain in the arse and you feel youve been messed about.
    but personally speaking ive had no problems with sky.
    stuff like this happens all the time no matter who you are with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    stuff like this happens all the time no matter who you are with.

This is probably true and I have had none of the problems the OP mentioned, however, I am only in the middle of switching, broadband switched and voice to switch today and I still have not received my router. It seems like this is regular with Sky, but whenever I switched in the past I always got the router before the switch. With Sky you have to have their router, either to use or to extract the logon details so once eircom switch off my BB I'm offline.

So far this is my only issue, but it's one I do think Sky need to look into for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

I was told when I rang Sky that as soon as the hub came I could plug it in, and connect straight away. So I thought obviously this is great, my other BB line is going today, and the hub arrived! PLugged it in to find a big fat activation date. SMH. I've rang Sky and they say it must have been "miscommunication". Yeah rigt, more like your man would have said anything to get the sale. ANYWAYS! I'm just wondering about activation dates, is it just something they say to cover themselves? How long did your BB take to activate after delivery?
    **apologies for the rant**

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sky seem to like to tell people there wont be any downtime between providers, I wouldnt trust this if I were you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Some people are unlucky when changing providers whether its gas, electricity or phones.
    It happens but its usually a very small minority.
    It shouldn't happen but for one reason or another it does.
    I changed to Sky broadband & I've had no problems at all.
    Maybe I'm just lucky ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

No problems here either. Line needed to be re-activated so was told I would receive my hub but the activation date wasn't until a few days after that but to plug it in anyway and it should come on sooner. Plugged it in and about an hour later it was connected. It wasn't at full speed for about 3 - 4 days but it was fine and consistent. Then full speed came and it's been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

Same for me. Switched just after Christmas. No break in service and have had full speed of about 14 Mbps download since then. Had more issues with my previous provider that I had with Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I'm switching at the moment and the website is telling me there is a problem with the sky talk part of the order but customer care assure me that all is going to plan and the line will be switched over after the broadband. The guy told me the line switch can be up to 8 days after the broadband.

Has this been the experience for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

I ordered on the 14th. Got notification of the switch the day before yesterday, got my Sky Hub yesterday, changed it over last night, took all of ten minutes. Everything is working fine, speed is faster than Eircom and the Wifi signal from the Sky Hub is definitely stronger than the Eircom one.

By all accounts pretty painless so far, in fact pretty slick from a customer service point of view.

Just need to see if Eircom don't mess up the final bill. I have cancelled the direct debit so they have to send me a paper bill as past experience has shown it's much easier to have them come looking for the balance than to try to get an overpayment back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

mossie wrote: »
    This is probably true and I have had none of the problems the OP mentioned, however, I am only in the middle of switching, broadband switched and voice to switch today and I still have not received my router. It seems like this is regular with Sky, but whenever I switched in the past I always got the router before the switch. With Sky you have to have their router, either to use or to extract the logon details so once eircom switch off my BB I'm offline.

So far this is my only issue, but it's one I do think Sky need to look into for the future.
    my biggest problem was not getting a phone as part of the deal, wasnt a huge issue and am not sure if thats a normal procedure other companies use but would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I'm switching at the moment and the website is telling me there is a problem with the sky talk part of the order but customer care assure me that all is going to plan and the line will be switched over after the broadband. The guy told me the line switch can be up to 8 days after the broadband.

Has this been the experience for others?

Yep, the phone is transferred after the bb is activated. In my case it was 2 days, but the I am one of the first tranches of Sky migrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

I don't think any of the DSL providers include phones in their deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

I switched to Sky this month. About 1-2 weeks later, just to make sure the phone line really was switched I logged onto "My Vodafone At Home" on Vodafone's website and it did say I didn't have any broadband or phone line with Vodafone anymore, so the switch was successfully handled by Sky. I also saw the final payment I had to make to Vodafone.

For me, the Sky+ HD box setup was within a few days of calling Sky, then the phone was setup, Sky Hub came last and could use broadband with them. Got the Sky Hub on Thursday and could use it right away, even though it said the Activation Date was the next Monday.

Initially I had some problems with their broadband speed, was getting 1 mbps down and 0.1 mbps up. A quick call to Sky and they said it was a profile issue and said it would be fixed during the weekend. Got a call from them on Monday and speeds are up to 6 mbps down and 0.5 up now, which is normal for my line.

Also the Sky website isn't always up to date with your order information, it could take a few days for it to catch up. But if you still see a message about issues with phone or broadband, it's best to give them a call. Don't bother with email, as it could take days for them to reply. Customer service is pretty good, though some issues are dealt with by the guys in UK (as opposed to the Irish team) so there may be a fair bit of waiting on the line as they get things sorted for you.

Now I'm just waiting for Sky fibre to roll out :)

I switched to Sky this month also and had no problems with the actual switch, both phone and broadband switching on the designated days, and eircom disconnected my broadband. However the problems started when I didn't receive my router for 4 days after the switch - courier had the wrong phone number to contact me - and since I received the router I have only had a connection at 2048 up 256 down. I had been informed that the max speed for my line was 5megs but for the first 10 days my speed would fluctuate as my line was tested. This has not happened, my connection started at 2048 down 256 up and has not changed since then. Neither does the broadband page at https://my.sky.com/mysky/myaccount/mybroadband/ show any testing on my line, in fact it has stated "Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line." ever since I connected my router. Last Tuesday 25/6/13 I phoned Sky Ireland Broadband support and a most helpful operator. He took all my details and told me he would pass them to the technical people who would respond within 72 hours. Needless to say the 72 hours have elapsed with no reply. I am most unhappy both with the broadband speed - in reality 1700 tops- and the response to my query. Hopefully this will resolve itself but not the best introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Hi mossie, what speeds were you getting with your previous ISP, I'm guessing it was eircom? The speeds should be similar. For me, Sky said my connection would be from 5-12 megs. I'm getting 6 megs which matches my previous speed. I think in their ads, they say "up to 24mb", because it depends on your location.

On Sky's site it always says "Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line" for me too. The best thing to do would be to give them a few more calls to see if there's any progress. Yes, it can get annoying, but it's the fastest way to get the problem solved. Hope this helps.

makoten wrote: »
    Hi mossie, what speeds were you getting with your previous ISP, I'm guessing it was eircom? The speeds should be similar. For me, Sky said my connection would be from 5-12 megs. I'm getting 6 megs which matches my previous speed. I think in their ads, they say "up to 24mb", because it depends on your location.

On Sky's site it always says "Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line" for me too. The best thing to do would be to give them a few more calls to see if there's any progress. Yes, it can get annoying, but it's the fastest way to get the problem solved. Hope this helps.

I was getting 2 with eircom but I know a few people who got substantial increases when switching to Sky. Sky say my line can do 5 megs, and the guy I spoke to reckons it's a config problem because my router wasn't connected to the line for may days after the switch over possibly the testing stopped and didn't restart. I'm going to keep pushing anyway, hopefully it will be resolved.

UPDATE. I had a call back today and it turns out the wrong profile had been applied to my connection. It had been set up at 2 megs instead of 5. The guy who called said he had now applied the correct settings and I'm now connected at 3232 down and 384 up. Still not ideal but better. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I see Sky have an option of activating an old eircom line and providing broadband directly through them.

I was under the impression that I would need to join Eircom to get the line re-activated and be under contract with them for 12 months before I could switch to Sky.

I wonder are Eircom playing ball with Sky in regards to this or are they making it difficult.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting broadband from Sky without having an active line?

Would like to hear how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Batesy wrote: »
    I see Sky have an option of activating an old eircom line and providing broadband directly through them.

I was under the impression that I would need to join Eircom to get the line re-activated and be under contract with them for 12 months before I could switch to Sky.

I wonder are Eircom playing ball with Sky in regards to this or are they making it difficult.

Has anyone gone through the process of getting broadband from Sky without having an active line?

Would like to hear how they got on.

I would be interested in hearing about this too as I was under the impression there was no way of getting sky broadband without an active phonline.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭breeno

Drogmal wrote: »
    I would be interested in hearing about this too as I was under the impression there was no way of getting sky broadband without an active phonline.

I signed up last week with a disconnected eircom line. They had it connected again the following day and are sending my broadband router thus week. All very painless, they pay the reconnect charge too which is great. You have to sign up for a call package with the broadband obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Lads I seen it posted around here but I cant seem to find it now. Basically my partner had a call from eircom today stating that they wish to speak to the bill payer, which is me but I wasnt home to take the call. I have a feeling they are trying to contact me to demand a cancellation fee or some other stupid rip off charge.
    I switched to sky BB this week which is going well so far regarding D/L speeds and so on. My contract with eircom expired around 3 years ago. Is there some clause in their contracts that means I must pay a cancelling fee? When I spoke to sky customer service they said they will handle the switch over & I didnt have to do anything.
    I actually asked her twice if she was sure I didnt personally need to contact eircom to give 30 days notice or any other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭andublin

Bad news, you need to give 30 days notice in writing to Eircom or you get hit with a cancellation fee. They changed to that a long time ago. No way out of it. Another thread has full details. Sky don't tell you that.

Advertisement