Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Undergraduate Mature Student

Options
  • 17-06-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I am sorry if this query has been asked and answered before but I could not find a similar situation on previous threads.

I am looking at going to to Shannon College to study their International Hotel Management Degree and I have a few questions about the Student Grant Scheme for Mature Applicants.

I am 25 and currently living out of home and working full time. If I apply for the grant as an Independent Mature Student will my assessment be based on my previous years earning?

As Shannon College is part of NUI do I need to apply through my local VEC or through the County Council?

As I earn just shy of 40k at the moment but intend to leave work to return to study what is the likelihood of even being approved for a grant?

I am slowly starting to get my head around all the things that I need to do but any help or guidance from someone who has been through this before would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jimmy_Cork wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am sorry if this query has been asked and answered before but I could not find a similar situation on previous threads.

I am looking at going to to Shannon College to study their International Hotel Management Degree and I have a few questions about the Student Grant Scheme for Mature Applicants.

I am 25 and currently living out of home and working full time. If I apply for the grant as an Independent Mature Student will my assessment be based on my previous years earning?

As Shannon College is part of NUI do I need to apply through my local VEC or through the County Council?

As I earn just shy of 40k at the moment but intend to leave work to return to study what is the likelihood of even being approved for a grant?

I am slowly starting to get my head around all the things that I need to do but any help or guidance from someone who has been through this before would be really appreciated.

All grant applications go through SUSI - www.susi.ie - no through county councils or VECs

Your income is assessed on 2012 income.

You might be eligible - the income limits are here

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement