Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you still collect while doing unpaid work?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi all. My current job is coming to an end in several weeks. I have decided that I want to learn particular skills that will put me in an excellent position to get a another job and am going to find an internship for several months until I get one.

I obviously haven't signed on yet so won't be entitled to Jobsbridge anytime soon.

Are you allowed to sign on while you are undertaking unpaid work, assuming you are seeking employment as you undertake this work?

There are paid internships out there of course, but in my field many don't pay much more than I would be entitled to on JSA. It would make more financial sense to move in with the folks on JSA (if possible) rather than moving away on less income when you take rent into account...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was informed no. If you are volunteering, or taking part in unpaid employment, it makes you unavailable for full-time work.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was informed no. If you are volunteering, or taking part in unpaid employment, it makes you unavailable for full-time work.

So I have to sit on my arse for three months doing nothing? What a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    So I have to sit on my arse for three months doing nothing? What a joke

No, that's not how it works. The state expects you to try and find work to support yourself.

I have known my job has been up for a while and have been trying to get work elsewhere. All I get told is to go get a few months experience and come back. Hence why I'm going for an internship so I will get a job after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I was in a similar situation and I waited for the Jobbridge. I started the Jobbridge and realised my mistake after a week. I have now essentially wasted the last three and a half months since I got let go.

Be sure it's what you want to do beforehand and that the company taking you on for the Jobbridge are going to do what they say they are going to do for you.

• Advertisement

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation and I waited for the Jobbridge. I started the Jobbridge and realised my mistake after a week. I have now essentially wasted the last three and a half months since I got let go.

Be sure it's what you want to do beforehand and that the company taking you on for the Jobbridge are going to do what they say they are going to do for you.

Yes I have a list of the things I want to learn and will not take something up without being 100% sure I will gain these skills. The problem is that most paid internships are in Dublin and there is no way I could survive on the salary they would offer....

Advertisement