Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBS Business Information Systems vs Information Systems for Business Performance

Options
  • 16-06-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Totally stuck trying to deside between these 2 Masters. My initial first priority was BIS, however now it looks like ISfBP offers more hands-on skills, more tutorials etc., while BIS is mainly lectures on a general business topics.

Are the employments records for those 2 any different? Am I right assuming that you can look into business analyst positions after graduating any of of those 2?

Will really appreciate your help.

Just wanted to add that my previous degree is not IT so it would be great to dig into this more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Hi Guys,

Totally stuck trying to deside between these 2 Masters. My initial first priority was BIS, however now it looks like ISfBP offers more hands-on skills, more tutorials etc., while BIS is mainly lectures on a general business topics.

I would totally disagree here. MBS BIS has a similar level of tutorial content and does have a development module which ISBP does not. In fact, BIS is more focused and less general than ISBP.

Are the employments records for those 2 any different? Am I right assuming that you can look into business analyst positions after graduating any of of those 2?

Both have excellent employment records but the majority of MBS BIS students would come from BIS (in UCC or CIT) or Comp Sci so they will already have IT skills so the graduates of each course will tend to be going for different types of jobs. Many of the graduates of both courses end up in analyst roles.

Just wanted to add that my previous degree is not IT so it would be great to dig into this more.

If your previous degree was not IT related, you would be better off going for ISBP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm a student in MBS BIS class, we have 2 hours of tutorials a week, the rest is lectures, and a lot of my class hadn't much programming experience before and were able for the development module. The programme is catered for analyst and consultancy roles so if that is the area you're looking to get into, it's a decent option. We were assigned groups for the main project, and they tried to mix around the people who had programming experience so that groups would be balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

JeremyH, titan18, thanks a million for your help. Decision made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

If you want to learn programming steer clear of MBS BIS, you will learn very little and anything you do learn will not be as a result of the tutors or lecturers.

In terms of prestige though it is looked upon more favorably by employers and the general content of the modules is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

MidMan25 wrote: »
    If you want to learn programming steer clear of MBS BIS, you will learn very little and anything you do learn will not be as a result of the tutors or lecturers.

In terms of prestige though it is looked upon more favorably by employers and the general content of the modules is quite good.

yea figured that il be applying for both anyways- hope they dont get too many applications with reduced prices etc- price of this is 3k vs 10k for mba in business or about 5k for lots of other business/law postgrads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 crazycatz

I am due to start the MBS ISBP this September, I have just completed my undergraduate in Social Care and I am really scared I will not have a clue what is going on.. I decided to do this masters as I need a job and there seems to be a lot of jobs after this masters. Can you tell me the expected starting salary after completing this masters? and in your opinion, people from different disciplines, is it hard for them to keep up? Thanking you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

crazycatz wrote: »
    I am due to start the MBS ISBP this September, I have just completed my undergraduate in Social Care and I am really scared I will not have a clue what is going on.. I decided to do this masters as I need a job and there seems to be a lot of jobs after this masters. Can you tell me the expected starting salary after completing this masters? and in your opinion, people from different disciplines, is it hard for them to keep up? Thanking you :)

I hope you've researched this and given it enough thought because coming from the undergrad that you have into an IT masters is quite a big change. You've openly stated that you are doing it to increase job prospects which is fair enough but your Cv will have social care followed by ISBP which are opposite ends of the spectrum and gives you two issues in interviews: (1) Why you studied two wildly different disciplines and (ii) Going for IT jobs, you're likely to be competing against people with IT undergrads where your value offering will be the masters since your undergrad will probably not be relevant to jobs in that field

I hope that doesn't come across too negative - I'm not trying to criticise, just trying to play devil's advocate :)

As for salaries - they would vary a lot I'd imagine but should be better than most other disciplines as IT is generally a pretty strong industry especially if you leave Ireland (I jumped across to London as the salaries on offer were much much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

x43r0 wrote: »
    I hope you've researched this and given it enough thought because coming from the undergrad that you have into an IT masters is quite a big change. You've openly stated that you are doing it to increase job prospects which is fair enough but your Cv will have social care followed by ISBP which are opposite ends of the spectrum and gives you two issues in interviews: (1) Why you studied two wildly different disciplines and (ii) Going for IT jobs, you're likely to be competing against people with IT undergrads where your value offering will be the masters since your undergrad will probably not be relevant to jobs in that field

I hope that doesn't come across too negative - I'm not trying to criticise, just trying to play devil's advocate :)

As for salaries - they would vary a lot I'd imagine but should be better than most other disciplines as IT is generally a pretty strong industry especially if you leave Ireland (I jumped across to London as the salaries on offer were much much better)

I'm also planning on doing this masters once I finish my undergrad in English and Psychology (starting final year next month.) From what I've read and researched about this course, it's a conversion course and isn't really aimed at people who already have a degree in IT. That's my understanding anyway! Good luck OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

x43r0 wrote: »

I decided against applying for the ISBP course this year, but still have it in mind for next year. I'm from a humanities background myself, with absolutely zero experience in IT, so i'd be in the same boat as the person who you quoted above. Worst of all, I've spent two years travelling so there's a gaping hole in my CV. I'm just wondering if you know of any non-IT graduates who undertook this course, and how they fared in terms of landing decent jobs. Did they mostly end up in support roles or did some manage to land roles higher up the scale, ie, technicians, analysts, testers?

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I decided against applying for the ISBP course this year, but still have it in mind for next year. I'm from a humanities background myself, with absolutely zero experience in IT, so i'd be in the same boat as the person who you quoted above. Worst of all, I've spent two years travelling so there's a gaping hole in my CV. I'm just wondering if you know of any non-IT graduates who undertook this course, and how they fared in terms of landing decent jobs. Did they mostly end up in support roles or did some manage to land roles higher up the scale, ie, technicians, analysts, testers?

cheers,

Can't speak for ISBP but a buddy of mine had a degree in PE Teaching and did the E-Business course. He's now in a support role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

i'm bumping up an old thread but i hope it's ok!
    I am interested in a BIS course in UCC and would love to get feedback from anyone coming from a non computer science/programming background.... how are you finding the course? also, it's looking likely that i would have to work part time (as a minimum) during daytime hours, what are th lecture and tutorial hours like? any advice greatly appreciated!
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

snoopy12, You'll be fine with no IT background

You'll have to miss some lectures if you are going to work (unless it is an evening job). They are sceduled the way that you simply have to hang around the campus all day.

Advertisement