Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman

Options
  • 16-06-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, can you give me your opinion on this?
    My daughter got a present of a packard bell notebook. Since the first day I've noticed that it was extremely slow. For example when I try to open any google it takes a good 30+sec to open the internet. Her sister has a Samsung notebook with the same processor and the speed is fine. I contacted the costumer care in Harvey Norman and the guy told me that the notebook is cheap and that's that and that can not expect anything better than what I got for the price. He also said that the notebook is like the ones you have ten years ago...!How can they sale something so outdated!!
    This was a present from grandparents and you can't expect them to understand about gigas...megas..etc.
    I can't believe the way this guy talked to me today.
    Anyway...I will never ever buy anything in Harvey Norman again and also never will recommend to anybody to do so.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

maria11 wrote: »
    Hi, can you give me your opinion on this?
    My daughter got a present of a packard bell notebook. Since the first day I've noticed that it was extremely slow. For example when I try to open any google it takes a good 30+sec to open the internet. Her sister has a Samsung notebook with the same processor and the speed is fine. I contacted the costumer care in Harvey Norman and the guy told me that the notebook is cheap and that's that and that can not expect anything better than what I got for the price. He also said that the notebook is like the ones you have ten years ago...!How can they sale something so outdated!!
    This was a present from grandparents and you can't expect them to understand about gigas...megas..etc.
    I can't believe the way this guy talked to me today.
    Anyway...I will never ever buy anything in Harvey Norman again and also never will recommend to anybody to do so.:mad:

So you're annoyed with Harvey Norman because your parents bought your daughter a cheap spec laptop?

Right...I'll totally never buy from them again :rolleyes:

You seem to be under the impression that a €200 laptop will be as quick and powerful as an €800 laptop. Well that's not going to be the case. Harvey Norman did nothing wrong and nor did your parents. It's the thought that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maria11

So you're annoyed with Harvey Norman because your parents bought your daughter a cheap spec laptop?

Right...I'll totally never buy from them again :rolleyes:

You seem to be under the impression that a €200 laptop will be as quick and powerful as an €800 laptop. Well that's not going to be the case. Harvey Norman did nothing wrong and nor did your parents. It's the thought that counts.
    Please Shane, I said in my post hat I have the same processor in a different brand at home and it works, and this one is terrible slow.... as a ten years old notebook. So I will never ever buy anything in that shop again... as I said before:p

Please Shane, I said in my post hat I have the same processor in a different brand at home and it works, and this one is terrible slow.... as a ten years old notebook. So I will never ever buy anything in that shop again... as I said before:p

Care to share the brand and models of the two laptops you are comparing?
    Bare in mind that RAM also is essential for a quick laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

it sounds like your main problem is that your still using INTERNET EXPLORER rather than google chrome, change that and you might change your mind somewhat.

Care to share the brand and models of the two laptops you are comparing?
    Bare in mind that RAM also is essential for a quick laptop.

I know that, but my in laws probably though that it was a good bargain as it was reduced from 280 to 200.
    Same memory RAM that the one I have anyway

• Advertisement

I know that, but my in laws probably though that it was a good bargain as it was reduced from 280 to 200.
    Same memory RAM that the one I have anyway

And what are the makes and models of the two computers?

Also, what Turnip said, don't use internet explorer. It sucks.

mad turnip wrote: »
    it sounds like your main problem is that your still using INTERNET EXPLORER rather than google chrome, change that and you might change your mind somewhat.
    No, I am using Chrome so it should be okay. But it's even slow to open Control panel...Computer...anything

No, I am using Chrome so it should be okay. But it's even slow to open Control panel...Computer...anything

You know, If you provide the makes and models of the 2 computers a
    you are comparing, then it would be a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

What are the model numbers of the two netbooks? It is probably software issue not hardware.

well post up the specs and people will give you a better idea of what has happened! A screen shot of task manager on the processes tab would be useful too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

You're not giving people much to work with. Post the SPEC of the machine, operating system, ram, processor etc. How old it is now, what anti virus software, what download programs she uses for music & movies etc

Also, what Turnip said, don't use internet explorer. It sucks.[/QUO

Yes, that's right, I only use chrome. I also disable Norton as I know is quite heavy antivirus.

The one that is okay is SamsungN130 and I know it has 1 GB
    and the one she got is packard bell Intel processor Atom 1 GB

Also, what Turnip said, don't use internet explorer. It sucks.[/QUO

Yes, that's right, I only use chrome. I also disable Norton as I know is quite heavy antivirus.

The one that is okay is SamsungN130 and I know it has 1 GB
    and the one she got is packard bell Intel processor Atom 1 GB

The Samsung comes with Windows XP.
    The Packard Bell comes with windows 7 which would be significantly more demanding on only 1gb of RAM.
    Another thing you can do is ensure there are not much programs launching at start up and if there is, disable them.

Does Norton launch at startup at all?

Lelantos wrote: »
    You're not giving people much to work with. Post the SPEC of the machine, operating system, ram, processor etc. How old it is now, what anti virus software, what download programs she uses for music & movies etc
    Manufacturer Packard bell
    model dot s
    processor intel R Atom TM CPU 2600@1.60GHz
    RAM 1 GB
    32 bit operating system

The Samsung comes with Windows XP.
    The Packard Bell comes with windows 7 which would be significantly more demanding on only 1gb of RAM.
    Another thing you can do is ensure there are not much programs launching at start up and if there is, disable them.

Does Norton launch at startup at all?
    No, it shouldn't I disable it and I also ran ccleaner. I checked that but that should only affect the starting up as far as I know but I am not a computer wizard

well post up the specs and people will give you a better idea of what has happened! A screen shot of task manager on the processes tab would be useful too.

I can't do right now I am at my "expensive" VAIO now:P

1GB ram is required by default to run windows 7. The reason everything is so slow your harddisk is being used to run additional programs like chrome. Either reinstall with XP or put in more ram.

Throw in some extra RAM it be very cheap and would take minutes to install. There is probably more software configuration that could be done to speed it up too.

1GB ram is required by default to run windows 7. The reason everything is so slow your harddisk is being used to run additional programs like chrome. Either reinstall with XP or put in more ram.
    Can I change to xp? can you tell me how to do it please?
    Thanks for your help. I was really angry today not for the issue with the notebook but with the way the guy from the shop talked to me...

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Throw in some extra RAM it be very cheap and would take minutes to install. There is probably more software configuration that could be done to speed it up too.

Yes, I am doing a few things like closing programs running in the background. I will try to do a few changes and see how it goes. Thanks a million or gracias as I would say

• Advertisement

You would need to download XP and get a licence key for XP too which isn't ideal. If you throw in 2GB of RAM Windows 7 will run fine with a bit of tweaking.

You would need to download XP and get a licence key for XP too which isn't ideal. If you throw in 2GB of RAM Windows 7 will run fine with a bit of tweaking.
    yes,I will do that better. Do I need to bring the notebook to someone to do it or could I do it myself?

Agree completly, XP is outdated & not really supported anymore. You could add 2gb ram to that machine & increase its response time dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

model dot s
    RAM 1 GB
    32 bit operating system
    THis is a Dual core processor which is quite fast for a netbook. You really need more Ram which is easy to get and install.
    Can I change to xp? can you tell me how to do it please?
    Thanks for your help. I was really angry today not for the issue with the notebook but with the way the guy from the shop talked to me...
    You are better off sticking with the windows 7 and installing more ram.
    yes,I will do that better. Do I need to bring the notebook to someone to do it or could I do it myself?
    If there is a small door on the back of the case it will probably be for the ram but I think this model requires the case to be opened fully(removing the keypad and back of case) for the ram upgrade, you might be better getting a friend with some experience in taking apart pc's to do this for you.

Yes is the one that you have to open the keyboard. I read that if you can manage to open the keyboard is very easy but if I break the thing my in laws will be mad at me and then I will have to open a new thread in the legal/divorce forum:D

You could go to PC world or your local PC shop and ask how much for a RAM install on that laptop. It might cost 20e but at least you'll know they should know what their doing. Then look around for some RAM online.

You could go to PC world or your local PC shop and ask how much for a RAM install on that laptop. It might cost 20e but at least you'll know they should know what their doing. Then look around for some RAM online.

Most decent independent dealers will sell you the Ram & fit it for you too. You can trust the quality of the work & you have a guarantee on the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

model dot s
    RAM 1 GB
    32 bit operating system

Whats the spec of the other Sony one. Even the model no. I'm wondering does this have a Hard Drive and the other Netbook have a SSD Drive or more ram or something. Assuming the other one is a Netbook.

BTW this is not a notebook its a netbook. I think its useful to clarify that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop#Classification
    Netbook: A smaller, lighter, more portable laptop. It is usually cheaper than a full-size laptop, but sometimes has fewer features and less computing power. The smaller keyboards of a netbook can be more difficult to operate. There is no sharp line of demarcation between netbooks and inexpensive small laptops; some 11.6" models are marketed as netbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Upgrade the ram, I had a similar samsung which worked very well with xp. I installed windows 7 and it was almost unusable until I changed to 2GB ram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Consumer Issue???

Advertisement