Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement power adapter for US laptop

Options
  • 16-06-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I have a US laptop and the power adapter has started making sparky noises.

Its a US plug and Im using a travel adapter

I think its time I switched, but every time I search for the laptop type and replacement parts, I get directed to a US site.

Its 19v output adapter, can I just buy a replacement somewhere.
    Obviously the plug into the laptop needs to be the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Laptop chargers .ie though some here about's don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Could it be just the travel adaptor thats making the sparky noises? Check the label on the power adapter, you can probably chop off the US plug and wire it onto a normal 13A one.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

How would you know if its ok to chop off the plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispin

I bought a spurious charger in maplin for my acer laptop
    which was also a 19 volt laptop. It came with 11 different
    heads to suit various size conections. This is their uk site
    but they have stores in ireland. There is a store in dundalk and i think there is one in swords too.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/120w-auto-voltage-laptop-adaptor-with-usb-charging-531311

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

HighWire wrote: »
    How would you know if its ok to chop off the plug?

Assuming it has a label, look for Input Voltage. Most work on anything between 100-250 volts. If you're not sure don't . Actually you're just using a passive travel plug adapter, right? Then it will be OK.

Edit. If it has 2 wires between mains plug and adapter, they can go either way round to L and N in the new plug, if there are 3 you need to work out which is earth.

again, If you're not sure don't .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Great.
    Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

Advertisement