Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One in three xtravision to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Our local one in Fairview used to be a busy one, I thought. However, last few months it's like we were the only customers in there. It's now closing in July. Is Netflix making such a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought they'd already closed tbh. Monkstown, Blackrock and Baggot St. all went in the last year so I assumed that was it. Sad to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It was Phibsborough last month and now Prussia St is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Our local one in Fairview used to be a busy one, I thought. However, last few months it's like we were the only customers in there. It's now closing in July. Is Netflix making such a difference?

I don't think that netflix or even movie piracy is really to blame. People's habits have changed and more are actually spending more time online on general than watching TV or movies. If anything, Facebook is more to blame...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

The one in Sligo town has a sign up saying they are closing down soon. The staff were unfortunately informed last Tuesday! A lot of businesses are closing down in Sligo. It's becoming a ghost town!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I don't think it's a reflection of the economy as much as it is a reflection of the times. Technology has outgrown their remit, and they attempted to diversify into other areas such as selling electronics, but didn't commit to it enough, and the writing has been on the wall for some time.

You can't compete with Netflix being 5 euro or so a month (roughly the cost of one rental) and you can watch just about any movie and dont need to leave your living room.

Things like Steam and xbox live etc. also mean games are bought and downloaded online, and with itunes etc., the physical product is disappearing more and more from the entertainment sector. The new xbox 1 also eliminates the role of an xtravision type company entirely, with every game being tied to one user and one user only (i.e. not rentable)

Having said that, I will be sad to see them go. Definitely played a large part in Irish society in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The Xtravision store in Fairview holds many fond memories for me. In the 90s, when I lived near the area, I would often accompany my Dad on Friday evenings when he picked out a movie to watch. OFten, I'd get a Sega game to keep me occupied for a day or two to boot.

Good memories of a decade that was vastly superior to the present. However, I agree with the above poster in that Xtravision is more a victim of technology than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/one-in-three-xtravision-outlets-set-to-close-29347930.html

Another blow to the economy. I'd will be sad to see them closing. They gave employment in alot of towns in the country.

Better than I expected tbh. Thought 100% of them would close.

Advertisement