Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting in Dublin

Options
  • 15-06-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Greetings!

I am making a permanent move to Dublin next month (July, 2013) I have two questions concerning letting accommodations. First, when you leave a deposit and pay first months rent is it usually in cash? Secondly, If I find an agent to help me, who will will pay for their service? Would it be me or the property owner?

Many thank!

Carol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

carol192 wrote: »
    First, when you leave a deposit and pay first months rent is it usually in cash?
    Never pay a deposit in cash (or by Western Union or equivalent), this leaves you open to scammers. I've always paid either by cheque or bank transfer and if the owner tried to insist on cash I would see that as a major warning sign. The usual procedure is to pay a refundable holding deposit of €150 or so when you agree to take the place, then to pay the balance of the deposit and first month's rent on the day you move in.
    Secondly, If I find an agent to help me, who will will pay for their service? Would it be me or the property owner?
    Tenant's agents are not very common in the Irish rental market, if you do manage to find one you would be paying for it yourself, not the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

carol192 wrote: »
    Greetings!

I am making a permanent move to Dublin next month (July, 2013) I have two questions concerning letting accommodations. First, when you leave a deposit and pay first months rent is it usually in cash? Secondly, If I find an agent to help me, who will will pay for their service? Would it be me or the property owner?

Many thank!

Carol

Hi Carol.

My procedure is at the viewing if I offer it to someone to check references then at contract signing to collect deposit and the rent at the same time.

Advertisement