Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera at a concert?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question but I figured I'd be better off posting here than in the Gigs forum
    I'm heading to the Neil Young concert tomorrow and I've seen on the promoter's site that no 'professional' photography is allowed. I only have a Nikon bridge camera, no changeable lens. I would love to bring my camera to get some shots but I'm worried that the bright soles on security duty may not know the difference and could confiscate my camera.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah; don't bring your camera and enjoy the gig. unless you're up near the front, you won't get good shots, and you won't have to worry about your camera being bumped accidentally out of your hands, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

What is determined as professional cameras are those SLR cameras. I've seen loads of people that have sneaked one in, slr that is, but I wouldn't risk it.

Now those bridge cameras are not professional type cameras so as long as security allows you in with one, go ahead a bring it along

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Yeah it's best not to risk it when a venue says no, bridge cameras are fine but even when I was shooting for Slash recently the order went down that once I was done I either let them mind my equipment or I leave and miss the rest of the show. Generally the higher the profile of the performer the more those rules will be enforced and security / staff reserve the right to confiscate professional cameras if it's their venue.

Even when I'm shooting directly for a band technically I'm supposed to stop shooting after the 3rd song in the pit but I've managed to secure full show coverage on most shows this year. The general rule when even in the crowd is security have final say, don't give them a reason to confiscate anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Ya, I decided not to bother bringing the camera, could have been more hassle than it was worth. Thanks for the advice folks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I brought my nikon d3100 to neil young concert, no bother security man saw it on the way in said nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's a grey area at times, my friend was security down at Slane yesterday and in their 'handbook' no cameras were allowed with detatchable lens but yet on the concert/fans posters it said no cameras at all.

As someone said the bigger the stars the more up their own arsehole that they are....thank god the music I'm into is DIY.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you always run the risk going to a gig with a camera of it getting taken, and tbh with a bridge you'd prob struggle with shots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

It's a grey area at times, my friend was security down at Slane yesterday and in their 'handbook' no cameras were allowed with detatchable lens but yet on the concert/fans posters it said no cameras at all.

As someone said the bigger the stars the more up their own arsehole that they are....thank god the music I'm into is DIY.

there were people with DSLR's in the crowd at Slane yesterday , guy in front of me in the diamond circle (Canon camera with 75-300mm lens) and guy behind me in the gold circle (with what looked like a 28-80lens)

That may be so but surely that add's to Melek's insertion that it is a gamble?
    It's a toss up if you get one in, it depends on the security guy/gal that is in ur area or on the gate.

and also depends on .... how much you are paying for your ticket - blind eyes turn away when money gets more involved.... gold and diamond circles were closest to the stage and a lot more expensive than general admission.

• Advertisement

Ya reading that 'handbook' now, they had extra privileges (not for cameras though) but i suspect security showed more of a 'blind eye' to them, but I also do know if I spent silly money for a big day out I wouldn't bother taking a chance on my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One thing to be clear about, security have no rights whatsover to confiscate your camera, it is a scare tactic.
    They have the right to ask you to stop taking pictures if they believe you may be doing it for unauthorised professional reasons and they may ask you to leave.
    They will also tell you to stop if they believe you are attempting to record the video or audio of the entire concert and they may tell you to leave.
    They cannot interfere with your equipment, but can request you delete what you have recorded, if you refuse they may throw you out or at worse call the garda to try to have you done on copyright infringement / theft.
    TBH they know the difference now between someone taking a few pictures or video clips and the bootleggers and BTW I am talking from experience.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    One thing to be clear about, security have no rights whatsover to confiscate your camera, it is a scare tactic.

The thread is about actually getting the camera into the venue and while they may not take the camera from you they can get you thrown out....

I should add I am pro the photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I know, what they are looking out for is the big pro looking camera with a foot long lens. Other cameras they are really not interested in, just dont make it too obvious if its a big SLR.
    Honestly if they wanted no decent pictures taken they would have to ban some mobile phones as well.
    I have been taking cameras to concerts for years and have never been challenged at the doors / gates.

Ya reading that 'handbook' now, they had extra privileges (not for cameras though) but i suspect security showed more of a 'blind eye' to them, but I also do know if I spent silly money for a big day out I wouldn't bother taking a chance on my camera.

the vast majority of those that pay for the "better standing area" usually hold a "do you not know who I am" or "i'm better than you because I'm richer" attitude ...so they usually don't consider it taking a chance.

(no offence intended towards the rich folk)

Advertisement