Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Three year old decides to go vegetarian

  • 14-06-2013 10:55pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 blatantrereg




«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 Orim


    Jesus, some vegetarians will do anything to get the rest of the world to go their way.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 blatantrereg


    Orim wrote: »
    Jesus, some vegetarians will do anything to get the rest of the world to go their way.
    You think it was staged then I take it. I did wonder that myself - more because of how conveniently it was caught on camera than what the kid says.

    Even if it was staged it's still worth looking at. Personally I decided to take it at face value anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 Orim


    it's the convienence that gets me. It doesn't strike me as being the middle of a conversation or anything. Also the parent seems to be very behind it as well, although that's not as suspicious.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 Prodigious


    A fantastic outlook on vegetarians:




  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--



    Quite fitting that you posted this because I always thought that vegetarians must have the same capacity for moral thinking as small child


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--


    And what kind of retarded parents let a toddler dictate the way he is raised?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 blatantrereg


    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Quite fitting that you posted this because I always thought that vegetarians must have the same capacity for moral thinking as small child
    always?
    as in ever since you were a small child?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--


    always?
    as in ever since you were a small child?

    Figure of speech. Ever since I contemplated why someone would choose not to eat meat, would be more correct.

    Now I'd like to hear this kids political views


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,952 Zombienosh


    Are you implying that anyone who chooses not to eat meat is a child?

    That's nice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 7ofBrian


    Zombienosh wrote: »
    Are you implying that anyone who chooses not to eat meat is a child?

    That's nice.

    No I think he's implying that anyone who chooses not to eat meat is a fcuktard.

    I agree ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 Orim


    7ofBrian wrote: »
    No I think he's implying that anyone who chooses not to eat meat is a fcuktard.

    I agree ;)

    This type of stupidity is as bad as what's in the video. Worse really because at least vegetarians have the case of animals do die. Why the hell does it bother anyone if someone chooses?

    Whoop de whoop, I have an opinion and I must make the world conform to my views. Live and let live I say :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 Duggy747


    Doesn't matter what a person chooses to eat, their choice, but this reeks of using a child to push an agenda which I always hate.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 Autonomous Cowherd


    I found the child charming, and had posted that video elsewhere weeks ago. I have also found that many small children are naturally confused and repulsed by the idea of eating animals...without any propaganda whatsoever being employed. They simply cannot compute the killing and eating of baby lambs for instance.

    But..to each there own....with the various meat scandals that have taken place over the last few years, the pork crises, the horse meat thingy, mad cow disease and so on, I don't understand how anyone eats meat still, but *shrugs* to each their own. I left off the habit almost 30 years ago. There is just not enough room on the planet for people to eat as much meat as they do....and soon (my pretties) it will be fed on maggots. YUM YUM :D


    It is hardly the most appetising of prospects, but it could just be the only viable way to satisfy the ever-increasing global demand for meat.
    A plan to feed animals with protein-rich maggots which have been reared on cow and pig excrement is currently being trialled by the EU.
    Soya beans which are normally used in feed for animals such as chickens, pigs and fish, are in great demand so scientists and farmers have been searching for a cheap and viable alternatives.
    The EU plan would see flies bred on an industrial scale using readily-available animal and vegetable waste, with the maggots, or larvae, which they create then being used for feed.
    The type of waste product used would vary depending on the location of the 'fly farms' with sawdust and even used grain from the whisky distilling process being touted as possibilities.
    'In Spain it might be pulp from a tomato field, while in a lot of places it will be a mixture of droppings, straw and sawdust you get on chicken farms.'
    The Grant Bait fishing-bait farm in Roos, East Yorkshire has been tasked with finding the best way to produce maggots on an industrial scale using waste materials.
    They will then be shipped to Ghent, in Belgium where the animal feed trials are being conducted. The project, which hopes to determine if the technique is feasible on a wide scale, is due to run for three years.
    However if it is deemed viable, it would require a change of EU law which currently prohibits the sale of meat from animals reared on feed containing maggots.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭ tfitzgerald


    I have an 8 year old girl that will not eat meat of any sort for us. She just does not like it This coming in a house where a lot of meat is eaten.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--


    Zombienosh wrote: »
    Are you implying that anyone who chooses not to eat meat is a child?

    That's nice.

    If you choose not to eat meat because you don't like animals to be killed, then yes. You can't survive as a human without killing animals, from destroying their habitat, to killing them because they're pests, from them dying due to heavy machinery etc...

    Grass fed beef and organic chickens, for example, can live on land than can support many other animals and live in relative harmony. Yet vegetarians often eat lots of grains, which are farmed in massive swathes of land where practically no other animal can live and if they do they get eviscerated by machinery come harvest time. But you don't see vegetarians eschewing mass produced grains do you?

    And where do you draw the line on killing animals? If you have a rat or cockroach infestation do you call the exterminators or do you adopt them as pets? If your children have nits do you get some special shampoo or do you learn to live with them?

    Long story short, it's highly simplistic moral thinking


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 DublinArnie


    Smart kid!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,952 Zombienosh


    What I find funny is that without anyone arguing about vegetarianism, He just posted a video in "Cool Vids", Before anyone with any pro veggie comments or otherwise, Omnivores straight away got angry and defensive about their diet and started slamming vegetarianism because its stupid.

    Now that is funny. This thread was supposed to just discuss a video where a child questions eating his octopus, but as usual any mention of the dreaded "V" word and it's always omnivores that get angry/defensive first. No one here was questioning eating meat, No one.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 Autonomous Cowherd


    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    If you choose not to eat meat because you don't like animals to be killed, then yes. You can't survive as a human without killing animals, from destroying their habitat, to killing them because they're pests, from them dying due to heavy machinery etc...

    Grass fed beef and organic chickens, for example, can live on land than can support many other animals and live in relative harmony. Yet vegetarians often eat lots of grains, which are farmed in massive swathes of land where practically no other animal can live and if they do they get eviscerated by machinery come harvest time. But you don't see vegetarians eschewing mass produced grains do you?

    And where do you draw the line on killing animals? If you have a rat or cockroach infestation do you call the exterminators or do you adopt them as pets? If your children have nits do you get some special shampoo or do you learn to live with them?

    Long story short, it's highly simplistic moral thinking


    I would not say it is highly simplistic moral thinking. You, in your summation, leave out the question of intent, which makes your argument somewhat simplistic. Killing bugs as we walk or roll over, roadkill and so on, even the unintentional destruction of habitats, is just not the same as herding animals into an abattoir for the satiation of peculiarities of taste. Humans live and breed perfectly well on no or minimal flesh foods. the Statistics are that meat production is what requires the most production of grain and soya, and the resultant ''evisceration'' of soil, (odd word choice in conjunction with vegetarians - I'll give you that :) ), and not vegetarians chowing down on
    their grainy foods. Fact is there are just too few of us to skew the ecology of the planet one way or another - so attempts to lump us with those issues is just silly. On the other hand production of meat has been recognised by the UN as a higher contributor to global ecological problems than any other single factor. The amount of grain and water that goes into a single pound of meat just makes it laughable on any cost benefit analysis. But sure look it, keep eating what you want - i truly don't give a hoot what anyone eats - but don't try to label vegetarians morally simplistic - It's just not tenable.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 Autonomous Cowherd


    Zombienosh wrote: »
    What I find funny is that without anyone arguing about vegetarianism, He just posted a video in "Cool Vids", Before anyone with any pro veggie comments or otherwise, Omnivores straight away got angry and defensive about their diet and started slamming vegetarianism because its stupid.

    Now that is funny. This thread was supposed to just discuss a video where a child questions eating his octopus, but as usual any mention of the dreaded "V" word and it's always omnivores that get angry/defensive first. No one here was questioning eating meat, No one.

    Hahahah! Zombienosh! Great and somewhat appropriate name! Yeah..i don't want to get into the pro/con veg argument here in cool vids..it is an oasis away from that kind of lark.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 Orim


    Zombienosh wrote: »
    What I find funny is that without anyone arguing about vegetarianism, He just posted a video in "Cool Vids", Before anyone with any pro veggie comments or otherwise, Omnivores straight away got angry and defensive about their diet and started slamming vegetarianism because its stupid.

    Now that is funny. This thread was supposed to just discuss a video where a child questions eating his octopus, but as usual any mention of the dreaded "V" word and it's always omnivores that get angry/defensive first. No one here was questioning eating meat, No one.

    That's just not true. The video itself is pushing vegertarianism. I would have the same issues with any video which appears to be set up in order to push an agenda. It's using a child as a manipulative tool to push vegetarianism.

    But as blantantrereg said, he can take it at face value. Mayhaps I'm overly cynical.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ Chain_reaction


    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    If you choose not to eat meat because you don't like animals to be killed, then yes. You can't survive as a human without killing animals, from destroying their habitat, to killing them because they're pests, from them dying due to heavy machinery etc...

    Grass fed beef and organic chickens, for example, can live on land than can support many other animals and live in relative harmony. Yet vegetarians often eat lots of grains, which are farmed in massive swathes of land where practically no other animal can live and if they do they get eviscerated by machinery come harvest time. But you don't see vegetarians eschewing mass produced grains do you?

    And where do you draw the line on killing animals? If you have a rat or cockroach infestation do you call the exterminators or do you adopt them as pets? If your children have nits do you get some special shampoo or do you learn to live with them?

    Long story short, it's highly simplistic moral thinking

    Can't people just live their lives like they want to? You may think they're childish but what concern of it is yours? It's not having a direct impact on your life. Theres no need to start calling people childish over dietry choices or over moral beliefs in regards to food.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,660 ✭✭✭ CrazyRabbit


    Cows would probably be extinct if we didn't eat beef. Useless animals really.

    You're welcome cows!
    :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--


    Can't people just live their lives like they want to? You may think they're childish but what concern of it is yours? It's not having a direct impact on your life. Theres no need to start calling people childish over dietry choices or over moral beliefs in regards to food.

    Right, it's not as if someone deliberately posted a piece of vegetarian propaganda...oh, wait


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭ --Kaiser--


    I would not say it is highly simplistic moral thinking. You, in your summation, leave out the question of intent, which makes your argument somewhat simplistic. Killing bugs as we walk or roll over, roadkill and so on, even the unintentional destruction of habitats, is just not the same as herding animals into an abattoir for the satiation of peculiarities of taste. Humans live and breed perfectly well on no or minimal flesh foods. the Statistics are that meat production is what requires the most production of grain and soya, and the resultant ''evisceration'' of soil, (odd word choice in conjunction with vegetarians - I'll give you that :) ), and not vegetarians chowing down on
    their grainy foods. Fact is there are just too few of us to skew the ecology of the planet one way or another - so attempts to lump us with those issues is just silly. On the other hand production of meat has been recognised by the UN as a higher contributor to global ecological problems than any other single factor. The amount of grain and water that goes into a single pound of meat just makes it laughable on any cost benefit analysis. But sure look it, keep eating what you want - i truly don't give a hoot what anyone eats - but don't try to label vegetarians morally simplistic - It's just not tenable.

    You clearly can't understand written English if you think I stated that the soil was eviscerated. Any animals in one of these fields will be killed once they harvest it. Ergo the production of grains involves the killing of animals that aren't even eaten, while if I eat some Irish grass-fed beef I am eating an animal humanely raised in a natural habitat in relative harmony with its local eco-system and slaughtered humanely. At least I eat the animal I kill, a morally superior position (and ignorance is no excuse)

    There's a book called The Vegetarian Myth, written by a former vegetarian that neatly slices and dices all the main arguments for the diet


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 89,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Capt'n Midnight


    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    And where do you draw the line on killing animals? If you have a rat or cockroach infestation do you call the exterminators or do you adopt them as pets? If your children have nits do you get some special shampoo or do you learn to live with them?

    Long story short, it's highly simplistic moral thinking
    I try to avoid killing eukaryotes where possible.

    Living on a diet of the secretions of autotropic bacteria can be bland at time but dammit I've saving the planet for you ungrateful pups

    *stares at Kaiser*


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ henryporter


    Orim wrote: »
    That's just not true. The video itself is pushing vegertarianism. I would have the same issues with any video which appears to be set up in order to push an agenda. It's using a child as a manipulative tool to push vegetarianism.

    But as blantantrereg said, he can take it at face value. Mayhaps I'm overly cynical.

    You could also say that the video was pushing octopus consumption - if the parents were espousing a pro-vegetarian agenda then serving up octopus is a funny way of doing it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭ Red Kev


    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    And what kind of retarded parents let a toddler dictate the way he is raised?

    To be fair the kid had a reason for not wanting to eat the Octopus and as such maybe the parents were right to let him decide this. Sometimes it's better to let a kid go "through a phase" if it isn't harming the kid or those around him.

    One of my neighbours kids burst out crying at the table one day and wouldn't eat meat, when asked why she explained that it was pork and as a fan of Peppa Pig she didn't have the stomach to eat any more meat. The kid was 5 when that happened, didn't eat any meat for two years and one day all of her own accord started doing it again. Parents were happy to go along with it as her explanation for not eating meat was explained by the kid, it wasn't just a tantrum.

    It's up to parents to raise kids how they see fit, just because they do it differently doesn't make them automatically wrong or "retards". It's not as if they are encouraging the kid to shoplift or bully other kids or do something similar.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 Orim


    You could also say that the video was pushing octopus consumption - if the parents were espousing a pro-vegetarian agenda then serving up octopus is a funny way of doing it.

    Not paticularly because as we learned octopi are animals and we want them to be standing and happy.

    Also just noticed that we don't get a translation of whatever the kid said at the end.


  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ horsemaster


    Out of the mouths of babes..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 bleg





    also:




Advertisement