Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitegate up for sale.

Options
  • 14-06-2013 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

According to last Saturdays Evening Echo the Whitegate refinery is up for sale. Any thoughts or comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    According to last Saturdays Evening Echo the Whitegate refinery is up for sale. Any thoughts or comments?

Maybe someone with an ounce of decency will take over and they'll allow shore leave via their terminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Maybe someone with an ounce of decency will take over and they'll allow shore leave via their terminal

ISPS prevents it.

ISPS prevents it.

The ISPS code doesn't prevent shore leave. The terminals inability to comply with the requirements of the code in this regard may, but that's down to the terminal, not the code. Pretty much every other terminal n Europe allow shore leave, so the problem isn't the code

So we are both right.

So we are both right.

My point is that the code does not prevent shore leave, it regulates the security requirements necessary to facilitate it. Whitegate, for whatever reason, will not or are unable to comply where the vast majority of terminals recognise the necessity of shore leave and do comply. So I would maintain that its not The ISPS code preventing shore leave, it's Whitegate's inability to comply with it that's the issue.

As an aside, even the American ports, as anal as they can be, were all written to by the US Coastguard outlining that shore leave for seafarers is a basic human right, and dismissing ISPS as reason to prevent it

• Advertisement

So how will a change of ownership change the situation?

So how will a change of ownership change the situation?

Maybe they'll have both the decency and competency in this regard that the present owners lack.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Maybe they'll have both the decency and competency in this regard that the present owners lack.

What needs to be changed then?

What needs to be changed then?

I don't know what aspect is preventing them from allowing it, I haven't been there in years. What I'd guess its to do with is supervision while passing through the terminal, as you can still send medical cases ashore etc

Advertisement