Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN

Options
  • 14-06-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to create a VPN but do not have a Server to point it to. I was wondering if there are any generic Servers for training purposes that I would be able to set my VPN up with and Connect to. I understand this is mainly used with Companies who have Users who may need to connect to theirs Servers without causing any sort of risks. As I said I am just refreshing my knowledge and was hoping to be able to access one without incurring any Cost.

Kind Regards

Colm Towey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I have extremely limited knowledge about this, but I think you can hire a VPS and connect through that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you have a spare pc around that has windows 7 it has a vpn server on it. Just connect through that internally from another PC.

Do you just want to refresh your mind with a VPN client is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭colmtowey

Hi Mr.G

Sorry for the late reply.

I have a Computer I built myself with Windows 7 Ultimate installed. When you say that it has a VPN Server on it how would I be able to use it as a VPN Server. As I said I am a bit rusty and am refreshing my knowledge. I have only ever briefly worked with VPN's and that was some time ago.

Kind Regards

Colm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

colmtowey wrote: »
    Hi Mr.G

Sorry for the late reply.

I have a Computer I built myself with Windows 7 Ultimate installed. When you say that it has a VPN Server on it how would I be able to use it as a VPN Server. As I said I am a bit rusty and am refreshing my knowledge. I have only ever briefly worked with VPN's and that was some time ago.

Kind Regards

Colm

Hi Colm, Basically you can connect to your network and internet connection when away from the network through the computer with windows ultimate. If you go to the bottom right sidebar, click on network and manage networks, manage adapter on the left sidebar, press Alt, File > New Incoming Connection. You can then forward 1723 (for PPTP) from your router to the pc, remembering to setup a static ip. So if you have another computer and, once this one is turned on you can access shared folders, network drives and the internet. You can also setup encrypted connections, SSLVPN I think can be setup, but not too sure if the windows one supports it. Virtually any computer can use a client to connect to the vpn server. Some clients you can use if there isn't one with your remote pc (windows 7 and 8 have a client built in) are Forticlient and OpenVPN client. There are a few around.

If you have done things like this before then maybe you might want to look at OpenVPN. You can do SSLVPNs etc but using OpenVPN is not for the faint hearted. I've used it and it works fine. OpenVPN has a community edition which for you should be fine. Obviously you need a box at the network on to connect to when you are at a remote connection.

If you're a bit "rusty" then take your time as I said not for the faint hearted. VPNs are great but a wrong setting somewhere can make the whole thing grind to a halt and it won't connect.

I'm assuming you want to setup a vpn server now. There are services that work through a vpn, if you just want to try it out but I don't think they will hand out their details, more like you have to use their client. I could be wrong on that though.

Advertisement