Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golliwog fancy dress outfit.

Options
  • 14-06-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Going to a music festival in the uk soon and we are doing fancy dress on the Friday. Seen a golliwog outfit I love and would like to wear it but I'm wondering do people think they are offensive?
    Today I asked my one coloured colleague what he thought and he thinks they are funny but he did say he imagines a small minority could have a problem with it.
    So over to you after hours, I will go with the majority opinion. Poll added!

Golliwog outfit offensive? 54 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 54 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Auldloon wrote: »
    Going to a music festival in the uk soon and we are doing fancy dress on the Friday. Seen a golliwog outfit I love and would like to wear it but I'm wondering do people think they are offensive?
    Today I asked my one coloured colleague what he thought and he thinks they are funny but he did say he imagines a small minority could have a problem with it.
    So over to you after hours, I will go with the majority opinion. Wish I could add a poll but I'm on mobile device?

"I'm not a racist, but..."!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I asked my one coloured colleague what he thought..

What colour is he? Magenta? That would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

What colour is your colleague?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Oh I'm so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Hmmm this is not gonna be simple is it. He's a very nice brown colour.

• Advertisement

Hmmm this is not gonna be simple is it. He's a very nice brown colour.

Are you doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

A few years ago for Halloween I dressed up as Papa Lazarou, who essentially has minstrel/golliwog make up.

Walking down Dame Street there was a black guy eyeballing me from afar, I thought I was in for an argument until he yelled "HELLO DAVE?!" in my face. That was fun.

I can't answer the poll because I think it's extremely subjective. I wouldn't be offended by it but I can see why others might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Golliwogs don't exist so how could they be offended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Completely wanky costume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Just...no.Why would you see no problem with this idea?

If you had to settle this over a poll on AH,I really pity you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dunno about offensive, but you'd look like a complete knob either way

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How about a nice flaming troll outfit?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Well you already have an inkling that it could cause offense so why go there really? Plenty of other outfit options.
    It's a bit naff going to a music festival in fancy dress anyway but each to their own.

That aside, it would very much depend on the festival and the festival goers. If it's country or folk music you'll probably be alright.

I wouldn't think the poll here would achieve much being that most people on boards are unlikely to be from the ethnic background this costume would most offend.

It's very easy to be unoffended by stuff that's not relevant to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

endacl wrote: »
    How about a nice flaming troll outfit?

...with real fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Why would you bother with it knowing it might cause a number of people offence and therefore cause you hassle?

Would you not just wear sonething else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Where did you see the costume? 1940?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Me and my friends dressed up as Somalian pirates a few years ago for Halloween, black face paint and all. Id say it'll be grand, go for it. We got a few disapproving looks but that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

If you are going to a music festival, why would you bother wearing an outfit that could potentally cause trouble for you, I'd wear a costume that people woundnt get offened at and wouldnt make you a target for drunkin revellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Of all the things to get offended about... a children't toy. The gollywog has to be the one of the top 3 most contrived offences I've heard of.

Do black people get offended by these things, or is it just white people getting offended on their behalf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I'm no troll its a genuine question. Some of the replies are hilarious. The poll which is what I'm interested in is going strongly one way which is pretty much along with my concerns. The reason I like that outfit is simply while I was looking at ideas last night along with the missis it stood out to both of us as a fun, slightly risqué choice which may get a reaction from some which is what I'd like. Reaction in a good way obviously. It's a huge festival and I've never had hassle at it but I suppose the blander choices may be the safer one in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

A reaction is one thing.

Offensive is another.

Don't be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Go as a pot of jam instead. Enjoy all the attention...from wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Dress up as a loaf of bread so the birds will be all over you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wouldn't have any problem with it. I'd say the most likely people to react negatively to it are the types who go out of their way to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

In fairness OP, once you don't wear the wig and blackface, all you have is a silly suit and dickey bow. If you leave it at that you'll be grand. If anybody asks what you're dressed as you can honestly reply 'a bit of a dick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Of all the things to get offended about... a children't toy. The gollywog has to be the one of the top 3 most contrived offences I've heard of.

Children's toys where made by adults. I know that the nursery rhymes I had as a child have different words now.

The thing is that while 99% of people couldn't care less what people do or wear it's the 1% that get offended and cause hassle. They are going to a festival and it could end up ruining it because of other peoples inability to see the funny side.
    Do black people get offended by these things, or is it just white people getting offended on their behalf?

It only takes one person to cause a scene and a crowd could easily turn nasty, especially if there's booze around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I once saw a Japanese woman dressed as a leprechaun,those psychological scars will take years to heal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

We dressed my cousin up at a Leeds game last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The whole Gollywog thing pisses me off because my favourite Icecream was taken off sale for being racist. Actually, that's a lie, I prefer the Maxi-twist, but it came a close second.

Advertisement