Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to learn about electricity!

Options
  • 14-06-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I am looking to learn about electricity. I am the type of person that could and would do most DIY jobs. I would fix most things in my car, i am a Metal Fabricator/Welder by trade. Any work to be done at home, from painting to gardening, i will do it but the only thing i can't do, because i don't know much about it is electricity.

I am looking for a course, like basic electronics or introduction to electricity but can only find apprenticeship electricians courses. Any ideas on if these type of courses are available.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What would you like to get out of this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

There is a difference between electronics and electrical work.

I seems, from what you have said, that you would like to be able to do some practical work on electrical installations.

I suggest that , if you can, find an electrician and ask if you could accompany him/her on various jobs - in this way, I think you could learn.

Hope my suggestion is helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭LeBash

kilograms wrote: »
    I am looking to learn about electricity. I am the type of person that could and would do most DIY jobs. I would fix most things in my car, i am a Metal Fabricator/Welder by trade. Any work to be done at home, from painting to gardening, i will do it but the only thing i can't do, because i don't know much about it is electricity.

I am looking for a course, like basic electronics or introduction to electricity but can only find apprenticeship electricians courses. Any ideas on if these type of courses are available.

ITB ran an evening course at one stage. Just the basics. How to make a circuit, how to wire the basics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

What would you like to get out of this course?

Knowledge, not looking for a career.

There is a difference between electronics and electrical work.
    I seems, from what you have said, that you would like to be able to do some practical work on electrical installations.

I suggest that , if you can, find an electrician and ask if you could accompany him/her on various jobs - in this way, I think you could learn.

Hope my suggestion is helpful

You have been helpful, thanks.
    ITB ran an evening course at one stage. Just the basics. How to make a circuit, how to wire the basics etc.

Cheers i will look into that

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kilograms, if you didn't already know, youtube is a great source for learning how to carry out many tasks, before taking anything apart for the first time I look to see if there is a video on youtube, its saved me time and effort in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A couple of videos here, (done by a friend from school, who I haven't seen for over 20 years)

http://www.electricianinchatham.co.uk/kentelectrics/our-videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I'm the same as you and asked this question.

Here is the replies I got, check out the link at the
    End of the first page, its a beginner's course.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056940447/1/#post84442752

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

check out the link at the

Did you do the course? If so how did you get on?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

2011 wrote: »
    Did you do the course? If so how did you get on?

Thanks

No haven't done it yet, I want to hopefully soon but its trying to get the time off work that's the problem, the girl who organises it is in regular contact with me, seems courses are on every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

kilograms, if you didn't already know, youtube is a great source for learning how to carry out many tasks, before taking anything apart for the first time I look to see if there is a video on youtube, its saved me time and effort in the past.

I do use YouTube and find it excellent but its a general knowledge of electrics that i am after.
    A couple of videos here, (done by a friend from school, who I haven't seen for over 20 years)

Cheers, did you come across the videos by chance and recognise him?
    I'm the same as you and asked this question.

Here is the replies I got, check out the link at the

Thanks, a step forward finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

No found him on Facebook. Then checked out his website.

Advertisement