Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Tips/Help/Planning

Options
  • 14-06-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All

Unsure if this is the right place to post but any help is appreciated.

I have signed up for an exam in September through my job, exam is in Financial Regulation. My study aids are a book ( approx. 250 pages, 17 chapters in all) webinars on each chapter, and some online questions (which I am told do not reflect the exam itself one bit). Exam is multiple choice, and carries negative marking (so no bluffers!)

Has anyone ever used some kind of study plan/methods that they have found successful? I am 3 months out now and I want to ensure I pass and pass well. Any suggestions welcome. I accept I will have to put in the hours which is no problem, but I have not studied in almost ten years and I am already finding it difficult to retain the stuff I have read/taken notes of.

The exam is multiple choice, but I am told the questions can be phrased in a very difficult way with the answers there to throw you off. I need to be thorough.

Will be putting in the hours, but just hoping for some tips/help around different methods of studying.......

Knowing my luck we're in for a scorching summer!!!

Thanks to all for reading

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hi Dan,

I'm just finished 1st year, and found it really confusing how to study material initially! But like you, I was determined to do well...

My advice would be to familiarise yourself with the course layout initially. Read the chapters/sections in relevant chunks. I've found that I have had to highlight, summarise and type up my own notes. Just reading pages was too passive an activity after working and constantly "doing something" at a desk.

When you are familiar with the material of each topic, I'd try to get my hands on previous exam papers. There's always some sort of pattern, and there's always part of the course that are less examinable than others. I found it hard to accept not learning EVERYTHING... but it's only sensible.

When it comes to the exam revision, if you've shorter sets of notes, you can keep refreshing your mind with them. Refer to the exam papers constantly, and see if you know the answer. If not, spend more time on that section. I found I focused on sections I was good as to be better, and sort of forgot about weaker ones until I did this.

After that, if its MCQ I made a page of key terms, definitions, and important things to be looking at before I walk in the door of the exam hall. Also with the negative marking, if you're smart, and prepared, I would take a stab at a few. It worked in my favour a few times :) (against a couple less, but that's the risk ha).

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 iamdonie1984

Thanks for that GH

Typing up my own notes is something I had not thought of, I'm thinking I need to basically re-write the book in my own format.

Regarding past papers, I've managed to get the last two years papers, and while there are common questions in them, the paper seems to alternate quite a bit.

Thanks for the reply some great points in there to get working on, it's as much about preparation/organisation as it is the content!

Here we go (sighs!)

Thanks again

Dan

Advertisement