Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australians - iconoclastic or merely quite ignorant?

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another day and another controversy down under. Prime Minister Julia Gillard was for the 2nd time in a week the subject of an attack this time by some presenter who inquired "on behalf of the listening public" if her hairdresser partner was gay. It wasn't even a quick quip but a laboured point and you can see and hear the presenter digging his grave (he has been fired).

Earlier in the week Gillard was the subject of the kind of sexist belittling behaviour that even Fianna Fail and Fine Gael backwoodsmen would be unlikely to commit -

from journal.ie
    Earlier this week it emerged that a menu at a fundraiser for an opposition party candidate contained crude comments about her body.

The menu at Liberal National Party candidate Mal Broughs’s fundraiser included: “Julia Gillard Kentucky Fried Quail – Small Breasts, Huge Thighs and a Big Red Box”.

What with a string of attacks on a female PM, the idiot DJs faking a Royal phone call last year (one of whom Michael Christian was awarded top Today Network jock for 2012 last week!), the suggestion by the Socceroos manager that women should shut up in public (and this guy is German so its seems to be catching) and any number of other insults to women, gays, foreigners (esp Asians) and of course indigenous peoples are Australians merely suffering from being outspoken and fearless and so being more revealing of what people actually think, or are they just isolated ignorant feckers who really did get the worst of everyones genes?

Comments

Almost all the Australians I've ever met have been total kunts. I never judge someone on their nationality in advance and always look for the best in people, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed so many times with any other nationality. The ones I've met have been uniformly rude, crass, arrogant and obnoxious and unable to take back the behaviour and attitude they dish out to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

By contrast, here is what the Australian Chief of Army had to say about a recent scandal in the army:

Would that the rest of us were so enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Bit of a stretch to tar them all with the same brush, due to the actions of small few who happen to have some sort of celebrity status who seem to think being rude = more publicty and fame, So no i dont think they are all ignorant feckers, its just down to the d*cks that happen to be on radio or tv etc etc are the dikheads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

From my experience, probably the most sexist race of people I've come across. And I've lived in the Middle East so that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

To be fair, you could probably pick 5 random instances of sexism or ignorance from any country in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Merkin wrote: »
    From my experience, probably the most sexist race of people I've come across. And I've lived in the Middle East so that's saying something.

Wow.

I'll add this to my list of reasons why I won't ever bother my hole visiting Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Almost all the Australians I've ever met have been total kunts. I never judge someone on their nationality in advance and always look for the best in people, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed so many times with any other nationality. The ones I've met have been uniformly rude, crass, arrogant and obnoxious and unable to take back the behaviour and attitude they dish out to others.

is it an aussie in london thing, because i find it to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yet another generalisation thread, yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

What I've seen of the Australian media is crass and ignorant beyond belief. "Boat people" is a fairly common phrase in Australia and "wog" is a generally accepted term and sometimes seen as a hilarious insult, even by the people the slur is aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I spent a few weeks on a bus tour around the States, I think there was 45 or so people on the bus and a good 25-30 of them were Aussies, some small groups and couples, most were lovely but yeah there were a few absolute dickheads, and racist beyond belief among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yet another generalisation thread, yawn.

Not all generalisation threads are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Jank is going to go crazy when he spots this thread. :pac:

In regards to the comments about Gillard, they're just really nasty. I don't really want to generalise about what the general what the general attitude of Australians is like based on some controversial jokes from their media though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have worked with many Australians and I find they can be generally quite blunt and unapologetic no matter what they have done or said. Woman seem to like to be girly and men like to be macho.

I am sure they are not all like that but it doesn't mean their society doesn't encourage it like ours encourages drinking and witty banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A thread bashing Australia? Well this is new...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Australians, eh. You take the dregs of the british isles, land them on a big island and breed them for a few hundred years. What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

mitosis wrote: »
    You take the dregs of the british isles, land them on a big island and breed them for a few hundred years. What did you expect?

Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I am Australian. And I am neither racist or ignorant. But sure, feel free to tar everyone with the same brush, which seems rather ignorant to me. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Jank is going to go crazy when he spots this thread. :pac:

In regards to the comments about Gillard, they're just really nasty. I don't really want to generalise about what the general what the general attitude of Australians is like based on some controversial jokes from their media though.

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thankfully we have thousands of missionaries over there at the minute teaching them tolerance, diplomacy and open mindnedness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

jank wrote: »
    Eh?

What a janker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The Irish on the other hand are an absolute delight to be around whether it's watching them riot on Portmarnock beach, Puke their way down Grafton street at 3 AM or have to see them drunk in other cities around the world living up to the name of the typical drunken irish.

And yes i am Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 5 timbers

G'ud onya Mate. Fair Dinkum. Is there anything, anywhere lower than a Bully - trying to make themselves look bigger, smarter by humiliating another human being. The sooner these ALL MEN institutions are outlawed the better. To way to get respect is to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I am Australian. And I am neither racist or ignorant. But sure, feel free to tar everyone with the same brush, which seems rather ignorant to me. :)

Good man. No one is saying you! It is society in general. Not everyone, but enough to make it seem so. My experience is the ones who get out and experience more evolved societies tend to be more evolved themselves- the ones who are more insular tend to be, well, more insular!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd say it's more indicative of radio personalities than Australians, who are obnoxious pricks the world over. Radio DJs not Australians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What a janker!
    What a ripper .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Too Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Merkin wrote: »

That's quite an observation, given Ireland's attitude to women expressed quite clearly in the recent abortion debate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Iconoclasts? That's an odd name for 'em. I'd call 'em Chuzzwazzers.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 mick_ee

never been to Australia ( been to new Zealand ) but anyone who incurs the wrath of the ultra pc boards posse are bound to be sound as a pound

Advertisement