Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up as a sole trader.

Options
  • 14-06-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Thinking of setting up a web design company as a sole trader.

I am currently unemployed and i was just wondering do I lose all social welfare? Am i entitled to any payments? What if when i start up it takes months to come up with enough customers to actually survive.

Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Mate,

In the same boat here so thought Id put a post on the thread to keep track. I have been trying to get on to Social Welfare for clarification but as usual no one picks up the phone and the last time I went into the offices I was given the run around for about an hour then told someone would call me. As soon as I get some info I will post here an let you know.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Hey guys,

If you are on the dole and want to set up your own business, then read up on the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance scheme.

I think for the first 12 months of the scheme you get 100% of your social welfare payments, then 75% for the next 12 months.

Check out http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Work-Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx

Edit: Jarren beat me to it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

+1 for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance scheme.

However, I have heard a number of tales where the business was not viable and when the person wanted to go back onto the DSP benefits they were given the run around for a long.

If you decide to set up on your own it is very important that you establish that the business is viable to begin with. BTWEA should only be looked on as a bonus and not as a reason to start a business. It will not on its own make a business viable. That will be up to you

Hope this helps

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

To register your company, it costs 20 euro at www.cro.ie which is the official website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback, really appreciated. With regard to what dbran mentioned I had heard that too, I know that if you complete the BTEA you have to wait 3/5years before your eligible for any other kind of Job Seekers benefit etc. So as he said its not yet another benefit it has some strings attached because its suppose to help you get started. Also if you are self-employed I think you've to be out of business for 6 months or something before you can claim an unemployment benefit.

The biggest problem I've come across is that there is no clear answer from the DoSW what the application process is for BTEA application and when you can start working for yourself.

Dave

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

It used to be dealt with by the local employment partnership. They had to certify that you had produced a business plan and that you were actually serious about starting a business. They then looked after the paperwork form there.

This was a few years ago so things may have changed.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I have been reading over the Welfare page and it is very helpful. And the site to register your company is just what i was looking for!

Advertisement