Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Certification

Options
  • 14-06-2013 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I am looking to get a few Microsoft certifications and i am wondering if you can help me decide what is the best to go for please:

I have the Comptia A+ and Network+ and would like to start on servers. I was lloking at MCSA: Windows Server 2008 but im not sure if this is running out soon.

Any advise regarding courses and study material would be really helpful please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

sugarman wrote: »
    Im currently looking for work with the above, but with no real experience its looking unlikely. I reckon im going to have to do an intern, then i may self study for the Server 2008, possibly even CCNA whilst in that role. We'll see!

I'd suggest going straight to Server 2012 for certs/learning if I was you.
    Having any 2012 certs not only covers most of what you would encounter in the 2008 syllabi but also future proofs you for a few years, as there is a lot in 2012 thats new.

vinylbomb wrote: »
    I'd suggest going straight to Server 2012 for certs/learning if I was you.
    Having any 2012 certs not only covers most of what you would encounter in the 2008 syllabi but also future proofs you for a few years, as there is a lot in 2012 thats new.

Is there any specific courses I should look into our do you know the course codes perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Look at the 70-410 70-411 and 70-412 for the Server 2012 MSCA addin the -413 and -414 for the MSCE.

Nate

Look at the 70-410 70-411 and 70-412 for the Server 2012 MSCA addin the -413 and -414 for the MSCE.

Nate

Ok so I had a read of those on the internet and they look very interesting......with regards study material etc what would you recomend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As said on the other thread in Distance Learning, for the older modules I did, I used the ExamCram books nearly entirely. However, I've since found the Microsoft Press books to be worth the bit more they cost, especially if bought in sets from somewhere like Amazon. They can end up costing less/nothing in the scheme of things - the three 15% off vouchers in the 2008 MCSA boxset were worth €63 off the fees and the boxset cost €50 for instance.

I use the books, the supplied practice tests, and a VM environment to do the practical elements in. Doing the practical element may seem monotonously boring if done as suggested in the book but its really, really worthwhile to do them if you don't work day to day with the product and even if you do, running through the review at the end of the chapter to see what you know is essential.

What I do if doing a new exam now is initially run through the practice test once to get a sectional breakdown and concentrate on them first.

Advertisement