Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Law for Driving instructors

Options
  • 13-06-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

ive recently been taking lessons with an approved driving instructor.. i paid him in full 260 for 12 1 hr lessons. i done 8 lessons 2 lessons a day spread over a period of time. on the 9th and 10th lesson i was un able to make it and texted him the morning of the day we had the lesson to warn him in advance. he said you need to give a 48hr notice and that hes going to take away my hours if i dont attend. now he has taken away the remainder of my 4 hours. he said he will upload them on the website all 12 of them even tho i only did 8. i was never shown the term and conditions or made aware of the 48 hour rule..what law allows him to take away my hours?? is he committing fraud? what can i do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Sounds a bit suspect I would report him to the RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jay2013

i went to the citizens information centre about and they gave me a appointment with a lawyer for tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

jay2013 wrote: »
    ive recently been taking lessons with an approved driving instructor.. i paid him in full 260 for 12 1 hr lessons. i done 8 lessons 2 lessons a day spread over a period of time. on the 9th and 10th lesson i was un able to make it and texted him the morning of the day we had the lesson to warn him in advance. he said you need to give a 48hr notice and that hes going to take away my hours if i dont attend. now he has taken away the remainder of my 4 hours. he said he will upload them on the website all 12 of them even tho i only did 8. i was never shown the term and conditions or made aware of the 48 hour rule..what law allows him to take away my hours?? is he committing fraud? what can i do about this?

i'd say that you should have given notice and he was giving you your 12 hours for the cbt as a favour

Tigger wrote: »
    i'd say that you should have given notice and he was giving you your 12 hours for the cbt as a favour
    i gave him a 8 hr notice and how can he put up the lessons on the website when i havnt done them. isnt that illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i gave him a 8 hr notice and how can he put up the lessons on the website when i havnt done them. isnt that illegal?

probably
    he also should have only taken your 2 hours (9+10) , or were the 11th and 12th hours the next day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

He can take the 2 hours you could not make it for and you should then have to pay for an extra 2 hours that you did not do to make it the full 12 hour.

Driving instructor I used has a 24 hour cancellation period (ie; you must give 24 hours notice or you lose your lesson/money). It's an appointment-based business model, so it seems fair to me.

Sounds to me like you're bringing your instructor into a world of hassle because he tried to help you out and do you a favour by saying you had completed the 12 lessons when you had in fact only done 8. I got my license before the EDT thing came in (therefore there's no obligation for me to do 12 lessons, though I've done about that many anyway) - I'd be delighted if I found an instructor who would put me down for having done the 12 lessons even if I didn't (assuming he thought i was competent, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

I'd have loved that. If he's skipping lessons he's probably skipping parts of each EDT. . If I were you OP and you feel confident behind the wheel you should move and do you pre-tests instead with a different ADI. I found my lessons dull but pre-tests are more enjoyable and you get more bang for your buck because its a challenge and if/when your adi tells you how you failed be it mirrors or blind spots you won't make that mistake again. I learnt much quicker when my ADI brought out he's marking sheet. Although I'd probably switch ADI if I were you anyway. Taking this instructor to task would be a lot of effort that I'd leave to someone else. Each to their own I guess.

EDIT: my current adi takes money after each lesson so no lesson no cash.

Tigger wrote: »
    probably
    he also should have only taken your 2 hours (9+10) , or were the 11th and 12th hours the next day?
    no he took away all four even though it wasnt the next day

He can take the 2 hours you could not make it for and you should then have to pay for an extra 2 hours that you did not do to make it the full 12 hour.
    i paid for the 12 hrs in advance.. so does that mean he owes me money for 2hr lessons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

i paid for the 12 hrs in advance.. so does that mean he owes me money for 2hr lessons?

There are few solutions here.
    The easiest is to do the 4 hours with him and pay for 2 which you couldn't make.
    Otherwise ask him to refund the 2 not yet delivered and get another ADI to complete last 4.
    If he uploads the 4 not delivered he is breaking the law.
    Lastly did he tell you the cancellation policy?
    Has he ever cancelled or rearranged on you?

In my view if ye don't want to deal with each other anymore is option 2 above,
    Some sort of refund and a new ADI

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    There are few solutions here.
    The easiest is to do the 4 hours with him and pay for 2 which you couldn't make.
    Otherwise ask him to refund the 2 not yet delivered and get another ADI to complete last 4.
    If he uploads the 4 not delivered he is breaking the law.
    Lastly did he tell you the cancellation policy?
    Has he ever cancelled or rearranged on you?

In my view if ye don't want to deal with each other anymore is option 2 above,
    Some sort of refund and a new ADI
    thats very helpful, thanks

Advertisement