Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicaragua Approves New Inter-Oceanic Canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's an interesting development but with 2 canals running practically side by side I can't see there being enough profit to make each sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It's an interesting development but with 2 canals running practically side by side I can't see there being enough profit to make each sustainable.

If they future proof the new canal and make it wide enough to take larger ships that the Panama Canal it will be the death knell for the Panama.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And if anyone has the funds to do this (and set up camp in the USA's "backyard"), it's the Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Tabnabs wrote: »
    And if anyone has the funds to do this (and set up camp in the USA's "backyard"), it's the Chinese.

I can see the American people loving that... having to pay the Chinese to drive an aircraft carrier from the Pacific to the Atlantic!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Sure China almost owns the States by now:
    "The largest foreign holder of U.S. debt is China, which owns more about $1.2 trillion in bills, notes and bonds, according to the Treasury. In total, China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt"
    http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/ss/How-Much-US-Debt-Does-China-Own.htm

Mandarin lessons anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The current fleet of Maersk E class are already too large for the New Panama Canal. It'll want to be pretty big to do what they promise. Building the 12 mile canal will be the easy part. Straightening the river to the carribean will be a whole other story.

Advertisement