Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New heating system

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    Just bought a house and need to get the old heating system replaced.
    The house is about 30 years old, 4 bedroom, 2 storey with old gun metal pipes and single panel rads in each room.
    There's no boiler installed, I think it was going to be replaced but owner decided to sell instead.
    Have been doing some research on heating systems over the last few days but have a few questions maybe someone can help with.

Should I go oil or gas? House is in Sligo so there's no mains gas supply and I would have to get a gas tank. Not sure how they would get it into the garden as its a terraced house with no rear access, but I guess they must be able to. Is gas much more cost effective?

Should I go for a combi boiler or standard? There's 2 showers, both electric so wouldnt need the boiler to produce much hot water but the idea of hot water on demand is appealing. However, I have heard combi boilers can suffer from limescale and are not recommended in Ireland. Is this correct?

There will be about 8 radiators connected so what size boiler should I be thinking of? There's only 3 of us so wont need anything too big.

What type of piping should i get get installed ? copper or Qualpex ?

Should I get a closed or open vent system?

Is there any value in going for solar for the hot water and a standard boiler instead of a combi?

Finally, does anyone know of a good plumber in Sligo?

Thanks

Advertisement