Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get your book noticed?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi, I have recently self published a non-fiction biography. However, all I had in my vision was completing the work and then printing it myself. After that I had not prepared myself for the competition for trying to get the work noticed. I was in touch with the Sunday Times who asked me to send a copy in but then didn't do any review. I have sent a few copies around to journalists but to no avail. I understand as writers we must be prepared to give out a good few free copies in the hopes at least one makes it to the media. Has anybody got any guidance or tips on who are the best people to send books to and what media outlets are worthy of at least trying? Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Been there done that! It used to be the standard thing to send copies to the books editors at the various newspapers but even years ago they were swamped with new titles. I know just what it's like to self-publish and by the time the book appears you're either sick of the sight of it or already moving on to the next project. The last title that I self-published was reviewed more by people who happened on copies in the shops and was largely ignored by the people that I sent copies to. It's hard to know what to suggest other than trying to get a publisher to take on your work, leaving you to concentrate on your writing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Do you have a wholesaler?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Interesting experiences there Judgement Day. And to Hans, I have managed to get Easons to take a batch, which was a feat in itself, so they would be acting as the wholesaler for the book. I have heard before that moving onto a new project actually helps get your earlier projects more notice. I hope that works :) Nonetheless, could you maybe let me know some of the people you sent copies to Judgement? Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

If your biography is, say, of someone is better known in one part of the country than in others, check all the shops in that region. Don't trust the Eason reps to bother to tell them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Try bloggers who review the sort of book you're written, or who have a particular interest in it.

Even with a big six book, it's hard to get reviews in Irish papers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement