Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit Charges USA

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am travelling to the USA in a few weeks for a 6 week holiday.
    I understand that there will be a 3.5% charge on ATM transactions in the US as far as I know; what is the exchange rate commission then?

Consequently, is it worth it for me to consider something like travellers cheques considering the example below?

Take an example where 6,000USD are spent on the entire trip with an average withdrawal limit of €250. At todays exchange rate that rounds up to 18 ATM withdrawals on the entire trip @ 3.5% charge (=11.70USD per withdrawal), so I'd be looking at total ATM fees of 210.64USD for the trip. And this is without considering exchange rate commissions.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

tuinily wrote: »
    Hi,

I am travelling to the USA in a few weeks for a 6 week holiday.
    I understand that there will be a 3.5% charge on ATM transactions in the US as far as I know; what is the exchange rate commission then?

Consequently, is it worth it for me to consider something like travellers cheques considering the example below?

Take an example where 6,000USD are spent on the entire trip with an average withdrawal limit of €250. At todays exchange rate that rounds up to 18 ATM withdrawals on the entire trip @ 3.5% charge (=11.70USD per withdrawal), so I'd be looking at total ATM fees of 210.64USD for the trip. And this is without considering exchange rate commissions.

Thanks
    [size=10pt]Hi tuinily,[/size]
    [size=10pt] [/size]
    [size=10pt]Please see here for the charges for using your Visa Debit card abroad.  [/size]

[size=10pt]When you withdraw from an ATM in the US you are charged[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]3.5% of the transaction value. Minimum €3.17, Maximum €11.43 per transaction.  There is no additional foreign exchange commission, the rate you are given is the exchange rate on the day we process the transaction. We wouldn't be able to tell you what this will be.  [/size]
    [size=10pt] [/size]

[size=10pt]Bank of Ireland no longer deals with traveller cheques and we cannot offer advice on what would suit you best, you can contact your branch directly and a customer adviser may be able to help you with this.[/size]

[size=10pt]Make sure you contact Banking 365 directly on 0818 365 365 to let us know you will be using your card abroad.[/size]

Have a safe trip

Seán

Advertisement