Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone line

Options
  • 13-06-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi Guys, having problem with internet speed, Vodafone says the line to house is 8mb but only 2mb into router. Have unplugged everything and had router plugged directly into main socketinside, still only 2mb. should i update line from junction box outside in main inside socket and if so how easy is it?
    Any other ideas whats killing my speed?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

On the router administration page what is your speed and line attenuation? For an 8mb line it should be something like Speed: 8128/800 (kbps),
    Line Attenuation: 5/6 dB. When Vodafone say your on an 8mb package your line may not be able to handle 8mb, and they say up to 8mb, as you are sharing it with other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 339 2211
    MaxRate(kbps) 352 2924
    NoiseMargin(dB) 6.4 6.6
    Attenuation(dB) 82.0 35.6
    Power(dBm) 11.9 0.0
    Hope this helps???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

wex96 wrote: »
    should i update line from junction box outside in main inside socket and if so how easy is it?
    Any other ideas whats killing my speed?
    Thanks

As far as I know Eircom service up to the main telephone socket in your home, generally inside your front door. Doing anything from that out is damaging Eircom's equipment. Well that's what they say..

Are you far away from an exchange or on a bad/old line?

Line credentials can change, more users within your cable bundle can affect you over time, as can additional interference or line degradation (even within the home, adding a skybox, extra phone extension etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

must be old line, maybe 20 years plus

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Noise is mostly caused by poor/bad connections, noise will reduce the effectiveness of the line for broadband.

Where the line comes into the house, at the very first point - remove the line from any/all connections and clean the copper pair back to a shiny copper.

Reterminate the line correctly making sure all connections are clean and tight/free of water/dampness.

Re-test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

If You will pm Your number I can check how fast broadband Yo can have.
    Ps.
    I'm not working for Eircom

Advertisement