Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

52% support scrapping Seanad and FF drop in new poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

FG 30% (+4), FF 24% (-2), LAB 10% (-1), SF 16% (-), IND 20% (-1)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Surprised how low that figure is for supporting the abolishing of the Seanad. This is very winnable for the 'No' side, especially considering there wont be much of a campaign on the ground on the 'Yes' side.

Poll is good news for FG as it should steady nerves just after the publication of the abortion legislation, meh for everyone else. Next RedC is in two weeks time, so we will see if the pattern continues. I doubt it though.

EDIT: Take your pick of polls.

Poll shows Fianna Fáil remains best supported party at 26%
    Fianna Fáil has retained its status as the best supported party in the State while support for the Coalition has slipped, according to the latest Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll.

FF - 26% (NC)
    FG - 24% (-1%)
    SF - 21% (+3%)
    Ind - 18% (-2%)
    Lab - 9% (-1%)

RedC has a better track record though, interesting that the results are so different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

We've heard of parties hitting their 'core' vote, I'm starting to wonder if Sinn Féin has not reached its 'ceiling' vote.

I think their inability to progress has to be a worry for them, and the entertainment factor of @GerryAdamsSF notwithstanding, they're going to have to do something about the ageing elephant in the room.

Many of the voting public - especially in SF's target vote - grew up making mental associations between Adams and the Troubles (he can thank Glenroe for that, and the determination to watch the 9 o clock news at bed time - who is that bad man with the beard?)

It's time for Gerry Adams to go and for SF to be given a more accessible leadership imo, this party that should be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

RedC has a better track record though, interesting that the results are so different.

Indeed . Redc is typically closer to actual election results.

Bad news for Bertie's team if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The journal just posted this tonight.

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-is-the-best-supported-party-in-the-state-poll-shows-950568-Jun2013/?utm_source=shortlink
    FIANNA FÁIL REMAINS the best-supported political party in the state, with support of 26 per cent, according to the latest Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll published this evening.

Fine Gael and Labour both dropped points since the last poll, at 24 per cent (-1 point) and 9 per cent (-1 point) respectively. Overall support for the government has grown, however, with its satisfaction rating rising three points.

Support for independents has fallen to 18 per cent (-2 points) and rose to 2 per cent for the Green Party (+1 point), while Sinn Féin’s support increased to 21 per cent (+3 points).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

30% for FG right now? I honestly have a hard time believing that. It's just too easy for the Opposition right now and it doesn't stack up with recent polling very well. Also the lack of the number of undecideds being mentioned makes me highly suspect of this poll. If it's 30+% undecideds again then it's not really a very interesting result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Positions of the parties have not changed and the percentage changes are within the margin or error. Besides we're at least 3 years away from an election and the locals are more interesting at the moment.

With regards to the Seanad, I'd say there's a significant anti-government vote at the moment, especially since 2011. Essentially these are voters who just vote against what ever the government advocates (probably to the point of voting to contaminate water supplies with ebola if the government advocated a no vote. Yeah bizarre hypothetical). It was seen with the recent children's rights referendum. I wonder what proportion of the no side would be comprised of these voters.

For the record I'd rather see reform of the Seanad rather than its abolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭golfball37

We've heard of parties hitting their 'core' vote, I'm starting to wonder if Sinn Féin has not reached its 'ceiling' vote.

I think their inability to progress has to be a worry for them, and the entertainment factor of @GerryAdamsSF notwithstanding, they're going to have to do something about the ageing elephant in the room.

Many of the voting public - especially in SF's target vote - grew up making mental associations between Adams and the Troubles (he can thank Glenroe for that, and the determination to watch the 9 o clock news at bed time - who is that bad man with the beard?)

It's time for Gerry Adams to go and for SF to be given a more accessible leadership imo, this party that should be doing well.

Headline in todays Irish Times says he's the most popular leader in the latest poll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Looks like Senate referendum likely to be lost

Will Enda put Shatter out front to save the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

that includes 14% undecided. Decided voters split 60-40 to the yes side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement