Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertilising Teas

Options
  • 13-06-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi there guys,

I've trawled the internet now for a while looking for good home made teas, what ingredients to use and aeration etc. Right now I have about 80 litres of water in a plastic tank with about a kilo or two of not quite done yet home-compost.

To spruce it up I've added a sockful (trying to repurpose existing stuff here) of organic chicken manure pellets and a tablespoon of black treacle (couldn't find molasses and this stuff is made from black cane molasses). Going to find some molasses now in the city centre to add to it slowly over the week as not to overcrowd the tank with microbial fellas. It's also getting a few stirs a day (this is day one) in order to aerate it a bit.

Ideas I'm considering:
    Urine
    I've been thinking about taking a leak in it to spruce it up, but I read that after 24 hours or so urine starts to change to ammonia and I don't know if that will negatively affect it, or whether the dilution with the tea so far will negate that.

Seaweed
    A trip to the seafront on the bicycle with a bucket to collect loose seawood to rinse of excess salts and blend it up to add to the mix. I hear this is pretty nutrient rich like the urine.

Cornmeal
    I've seen a few people talk about this alright, and it's not uncommon to use in a Bokashi mix either, so maybe this will have it's benefits if left to soak/rot in the water....

Any errors I'm making please do let me know, or if you have better suggestions I'm all ears!

Any other info you need let me know!

Advertisement