Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intensive German in german-speaking country

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

So, I've been learning german on and off in my spare time over the last 2 years or so. However, I find its pretty slow, and without anyone to practice with its tough going. I've mainly been using Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur.

I was considering travelling to Germany/Austria purely to try to improve my german, but with work I can only really go there for a weekend or perhaps on a weeks holidays.

I was travelling across Europe this Summer, and I found that if I try speaking german in Germany that most people speak back to me in English (which is a bit heart-breaking :().

I was also in Prague, and ironically, german came in more useful there. It seems that in Prague many people speak German and not English as a second language!

Does anyone know of any good language courses in Germany or Austria or of any other options for someone in my position with limited time available to go a german-speaking country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you go to east germany you will be replied to in German I can assure you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Goethe do intensive 1 week, 2 week, 4 or 8 week courses in different places in germany
    Load of them are booked out for this summer but you can still get some
    Or do them here
    They're pricey though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Both my German teachers told us that even with perfect German they both got spoken to in English. The Germans like to practice their English and show it off.

One teacher said if you keep speaking in German they cave in and will start to reply in german. Or just tell them you don't speak English. Your a native Irish speaker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't find they were that bad... in Berlin they'd show off their English immediately, but in hanover & hamburg if I wanted to speak german they'd happily keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

It really depends on where you go. If you head into Munich, Frankfurt or Berlin, or equally anywhere where you know people will speak English, then you won't get the most out of it. You'd be better going off the beaten track and trying to meet people who aren't fluent in English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

if you go to east germany you will be replied to in German I can assure you!

Well I was in Koln, Hamburg, Berlin and I passed through Dresden. Can't really get much further east than Berlin/Dresden.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dropinthocean

Drakares wrote: »
    It really depends on where you go. If you head into Munich, Frankfurt or Berlin, or equally anywhere where you know people will speak English, then you won't get the most out of it. You'd be better going off the beaten track and trying to meet people who aren't fluent in English.

Where would you recommend? :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

Frankfurt Oder, Chemnitz, Halle, Zwickau or Schwieren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP have you called the Goethe institute in Dublin for advice. They promote the language and culture worldwide.

Where would you recommend? :o

I'm currently down near lake Konstanz. The younger generation of people here generally speak English, not all fluently. But I've found that people over the age of 30~ don't speak much English unless their job requires them to.

Try Ulm or any surrounding towns, or anywhere down south really (except Munic, Stuttgart, and the big usuals)

I can't speak for other places in Germany as I've just moved to the South!

• Advertisement

I know that I mentioned places in the East part of Germany. There is a lot of people there who don't speak English. I agree though. I did a internship as a waiter in Oberstdorf (Allgaeu area near to the Austrian border) and I went from speaking very little German to being almost fluent in 6 months. How come? - You were forced to speak the language as it was a case of sink of swim. A lot of people from rural areas don't need to speak much English as most of the tourists who come for the Summer or Winter are from German cities.

Actuelly flying over there for a break in the German Alps this evening and cannot wait!!!

herthabsc wrote: »
    Actuelly flying over there for a break in the German Alps this evening and cannot wait!!!

Enjoy! I went for a swim in Bodensee yesterday. The water was 20 degrees. Amazing stuff the heat, considering I could see the snow on the top of the alps!

Just back. I had a really relaxing time and am heavily depressed:( Again it brought home home the lack of English in these areas. I spoke German all the time but my father (who does not speak German) had problems all around. Some people are under the illusion that everyone speaks English in Germany. This is not the case particularly among the older generation.

Advertisement