Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explanatory handbook for young rossies travelling west for the first time

Options
  • 13-06-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

As we welcome the Rossies to Castlebar on Sunday we should bear in mind the cultural divide that exists between the two tribes and it is with this in mind that we will try and to explain the most contentious terms. .NESTOR CUP for our rossy friends this is not a rare breed of china or ceramic cup but instead it is a prestigious trophy awarded for the Connaught competition, Nestor usually resides in GALWAY, MAYO but on occasion makes rare flurries into Sligo Leitrim and even Roscommon . DIVISION 1 again this is not a maths puzzle or indeed an army battalion it is instead a league competition where the leading teams in upper echelons of football ply their trade .Very few rossies now under the age of forty could possibly remember the last time their team achieved such high status. in general the landscape of Mayo is not dominated by signs for sheep sales or lamb festivals instead it features permanent signage for places /locations of local national and even international importance.eg AIRPORT a place where people arrive and depart to and from by aeroplane . BEACH- a coastal location where people of all ages swim bathe and enjoy the beauty of the seaside SCENIC DRIVE a view to behold when you travel by motor vehicle on a particular journe y.MOUNTAINS huge physical landmasses of great height which contribute enormously to the beauty of an area . TRAWLER for our rossy friends it is not a search engine on the internet or a mobile phone app but it is rather a huge sea fishing vessel, not really suitable for angling on the suck or indeed the Shannon . KNOCK, no it is not a signal to announce your imminent arrival but rather a place of pilgrimage where millions of Christians have visited over generations .CLEW BAY some tourist experts consider it the eighth natural of the world for me it is just a heavenly sight with it s hundreds of islands scattered in the sea. HERRINGS a sea water fish unlike the red variety floating around Roscommon suggesting Mayo are taking the game as a done dea.anyhow enjoy the gamel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Ah, I love the Championship..... great craic altogether :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

how about an explanatory hand book for yourself on using paragraphs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Lol
    Mayo people actually look down on other counties. I've been to Ballyhaunis. Ye have nothing to boast about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 green and red abu

a bit like saying you were in Spain but only visiting Gibraltar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Always_Running

a bit like saying you were in Spain but only visiting Gibraltar

Did you just compared Gibraltar to Ballyhaunis? and that place was very british the last time i visited it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Did you just compared Gibraltar to Ballyhaunis? and that place was very british the last time i visited it.

I think Ballaghaderreen would be more appropriate.

In Roscommon, but occupied by foreign forces

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As we welcome the Rossies to Castlebar on Sunday we should bear in mind the cultural divide that exists between the two tribes and it is with this in mind that we will try and to explain the most contentious terms. .NESTOR CUP for our rossy friends this is not a rare breed of china or ceramic cup but instead it is a prestigious trophy awarded for the Connaught competition, Nestor usually resides in GALWAY, MAYO but on occasion makes rare flurries into Sligo Leitrim and even Roscommon .

DIVISION 1 again this is not a maths puzzle or indeed an army battalion it is instead a league competition where the leading teams in upper echelons of football ply their trade .Very few rossies now under the age of forty could possibly remember the last time their team achieved such high status. in general the landscape of Mayo is not dominated by signs for sheep sales or lamb festivals instead it features permanent signage for places /locations of local national and even international importance.eg AIRPORT a place where people arrive and depart to and from by aeroplane.

BEACH- a coastal location where people of all ages swim bathe and enjoy the beauty of the seaside SCENIC DRIVE a view to behold when you travel by motor vehicle on a particular journe y.MOUNTAINS huge physical landmasses of great height which contribute enormously to the beauty of an area . TRAWLER for our rossy friends it is not a search engine on the internet or a mobile phone app but it is rather a huge sea fishing vessel, not really suitable for angling on the suck or indeed the Shannon . KNOCK, no it is not a signal to announce your imminent arrival but rather a place of pilgrimage where millions of Christians have visited over generations .

CLEW BAY some tourist experts consider it the eighth natural of the world for me it is just a heavenly sight with it s hundreds of islands scattered in the sea. HERRINGS a sea water fish unlike the red variety floating around Roscommon suggesting Mayo are taking the game as a done dea.anyhow enjoy the gamel

Fixed that for ya ! ;)

The following also don't seem to be in use in Mayo.

PARAGRAPHS - Putting spaces between sentences so that the readers eyes don't start to bleed after the first couple of lines.

FULL STOPS - A little dot that goes at the end of a sentence to denote that it is the end of the sentence. There is no space between the last letter of last word and the wee dot. There is however, a space between the wee dot and, the beginning of the next sentence.

COMMA - A little curvey yoke, used to break up a sentence, where one would pause for breath if it were being spoken out loud, or in between nouns. It is not used to denote the end of a sentence.

Suitable usage of all of the above would be:

Mayo have not won an All Ireland since dinosaurs walked the earth, Lord love them. However, God loves a trier and one should take our Mayo brethern to ones heart in a spirit of Christian fellowship and togetherness. If one is so inclined, that is. If one was also inclined to smack them down for being just a tad arrogant, then ones fellow posters might be inclined to pat you on the back for doing so.

And this is where I'd start another paragraph on how the Dubs are supposed to be the standard bearers for arrogance in the GAA, but I won't as the kettle has just boiled.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nah, the last fifteen years knocked the arrogance out of Dublin. Jimmy absorbed it all for himself like some human sponge. He puts it to better use too, I think.

Up the Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 green and red abu

The Gaa community usually engage in banter and football discussions, rarely do they stoop to imposing their superiority on their own fraternity in an academic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 my favourite rossy

Mayo supporters must be really proud of your 'explanatory handbook 'you bring your county and their crest to a new low .Are you trying to incite even more acrimony between rival supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Mayo supporters must be really proud of your 'explanatory handbook 'you bring your county and their crest to a new low .Are you trying to incite even more acrimony between rival supporters?

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I think you broke the internet OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What are you on about?

Look down to the other thread, he must have posted this as a new thread instead of a reply by accident. Someone send out the mod Bat Signal.

Full stops and and commas. You've mastered them. G'wan ya boyo ya. My work here is done ! :D

( No offense boss, but if you are going dish out jibes mocking the educational or intelligence levels of others, you have to be able to take it too. It works both ways imo. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Syferus wrote: »
    Look down to the other thread, he must have posted this as a new thread instead of a reply by accident. Someone send out the mod Bat Signal.

On my phone and just clicked into the forum..

I can see what caused the bother alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya ! ;)

The following also don't seem to be in use in Mayo.

PARAGRAPHS - Putting spaces between sentences so that the readers eyes don't start to bleed after the first couple of lines.

FULL STOPS - A little dot that goes at the end of a sentence to denote that it is the end of the sentence. There is no space between the last letter of last word and the wee dot. There is however, a space between the wee dot and, the beginning of the next sentence.

COMMA - A little curvey yoke, used to break up a sentence, where one would pause for breath if it were being spoken out loud, or in between nouns. It is not used to denote the end of a sentence.

Suitable usage of all of the above would be:

Mayo have not won an All Ireland since dinosaurs walked the earth, Lord love them. However, God loves a trier and one should take our Mayo brethern to ones heart in a spirit of Christian fellowship and togetherness. If one is so inclined, that is. If one was also inclined to smack them down for being just a tad arrogant, then ones fellow posters might be inclined to pat you on the back for doing so.

And this is where I'd start another paragraph on how the Dubs are supposed to be the standard bearers for arrogance in the GAA, but I won't as the kettle has just boiled.....:D

Oh the irony of this post :D

Ya is not a word, and if it were I see no reason why you would have a space between it and the exclamation mark!

You're a big fan of semantics, but yet you have refused to use an apostrophe when mentioning the reader's eyes :confused:

Last time I checked there was no 'e' in curvy, maybe this is a localism?

I have no idea what a ''trier'' is? Some form of a Rugby player perhaps? Also a yoke is the coloured part of an egg, what it has to do with grammar and the likes I have no idea?

As for the Mayo brethern, do the Mayo brethren know about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

A guy from Mayo slagging someone else for their county's lack of success??

A bit ironic, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Joe0873

Comedy gold ... Pure brilliance

Oh the irony of this post :D

Ya is not a word, and if it were I see no reason why you would have a space between it and the exclamation mark!

My bad, seeing as it is Mayo, that should have been ye boyo ye, shouldn't it? Or maybe G'wan yiz boyos yiz? Or would that be too Dublin sounding? Or maybe I shouldn't be starting sentences with prepositions? Is Or a preposition or a pronoun anyway? I always get them mixed up. :rolleyes:

I'm not picky about semantics at all. I don't have a degree in English and, my educational level is average at best. That is why I don't start threads mocking the lack of it in others. My post was supposed to be iconic...icio...ironic...there we go ! :D

Advertisement