Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Dillema

Options
  • 13-06-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm sure you get threads like this all the time around here and sorry to add to that. I know the Leaving Cert results are a long way off, but I'm already thinking a lot about college. The main question I'm facing at the moment is UCC or CIT.

Considering I get the points needed, my main choices are Level 8 Computer Science in UCC [CK401] and Level 7 Computing in CIT [CR016]. Now I know it's mainly a matter of opinion, and there are a lot of factors to take into account, but does anyone have any suggestion as to which I should take?

I've heard good things about the CIT Computing course. That it's broad and well thought by good lecturers. It also seems to be a general consensus that the college is superior in areas a computer science and technology - but is there any merit to that? Another factor that has me leaning towards CIT is a social one. I know a lot of people who are and will be attending CIT next year. Should I let a social aspect like this determine my college choice in any way?

And then there's UCC. It's one of the best universities in the country. A degree from UCC is said to be more universally recognised. I also hear that you're more likely to be employed as a graduate from UCC than from CIT, is there any truth to that?

I guess in conclusion I'm not looking for someone to give me a definite answer either way. What I am looking for is some information. Anything at all would be a huge help.

Thank you all for bearing with me, and thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Having gone to cit, I would not recommend it, from my experience I found it to be very awkward, the people are unfriendly and generally distant, the classes (depending on your course) are miles away from the facilities / admin areas, the admins open at awkward times and close at awkward times, there isn't many printing facilities in the college which results in massive lines.

This is just my experience of it, somebody else could say the complete opposite, but if I were you, I'd go to UCC, because like you said, it's better and more recognized

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

If you get the option of UCC, go with it.
    It may seem snobby but universities tend to have a better reputation (especially if you decide to mix it up later on by going into another career like finance).
    Good luck!

Advertisement