Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some CAT6 from a decent supplier

Options
  • 12-06-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.
    Currently in the process of renovating a three story house and need a good 300m-500m of decent quality CAT6 cable for running through conduit and ceiling joists.

I've come across a few Irish online suppliers but there's no mention of cable brand which worries me a bit.

Any suggestions for a good quality source and brand? (I'd like to buy Irish if possible).

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We ended up going to Maplin for it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Crikey, did you not pay through the nose? What brand did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

We recently moved house and I lifted floorboards and put down some cat 6. We are using powerline jobbies for upstairs because we only use a could of bits up there. There is a route to get the cable upstairs from where i have my switch but I'll only do it if I really have a reason for it.

I was considering which cable to get when I had a chat with a colleague who bought cat 6 utp and thought he would terminate it himself and long story short, after putting it in walls and under floors etc he found he couldn't get 1Gb and found out too late that the cable was crap and half the links in the house are only running at 100Mb even after he got a professional in to terminate them. He had been careful that the cable was not damaged or any bend radius were not too much. (I think he said it was this stuff: http://www.cablenet.co.uk/cgi-bin/list.pl?Sku=39_3100 ... I might be wrong though, he bought it off these lads though)

So I bought a 30 meter terminated cable and tested them at work on a 1Gb switch and all ran fine. I even tested it on a 10Gb switch at work and it autonegotiated, but we didnt do any testing because the DCM came in :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007N46VG8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDescription (foil twisted pair, connectors are metal grounded)

I bought 8 of them and ran them around the place, all running at 1Gb no problems.

Hmm, will have to choose wisely so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Have you the walls closed up yet ?

Would it be possible to run conduit up to the attic all the way from the data sockets on the lower floors ?

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/mk-electric-round-pvc-conduit-light-gauge-super-high-impact-20mm-x-3m-white/1000009818/ProductInformation.raction

The idea is it would be very easy in future to pull new cables/fibre through

• Advertisement

The house is being renovated from the top floor down (3 floors), the top floor is complete and that's where i'm starting, conduit is already laid in the upper floor walls for CAT6, just need to order some!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

You should be able to run 1GB on Cat5e let alone Cat6.
    I would get the cables made off - or made up lengths. Once they cable supplier can certify the cables, if it is certified to Cat6 spec, you will be able to run 10Gb no problem.
    As mentioned before, the issues start when you terminate with a poor crimp tool and you won't get the correct certification standard.

Advertisement